Trouble viewing FPV on mobile phone

Reaction score
Hi, loving the vision but the only issue I have is with using my mobile for FPV. Everything is fine on an overcast day or when I can get in shadow, but as soon as I'm out in the sun the glare at times makes it impossible to view.
Wondering what the best options are and if anyone can recommend anything to help. The mobile is a Samsung Galaxy S3.
Can you purchase or make sunshields, visors etc for them or should I be looking at something else.
Thanks in advance!

http://www.glarestomper.com/ make a range of shades - just put your phone size into their site and it will suggest one of their models that fits. I use it on a Nexus 4 (I bought a $3 bumper case which I put the velcro on and can fix the shade to that when it's on the phone). It helps quite a lot, but you'll still have problems on very bright days, especially if you have light clothing on - you can be the source of the glare! You have to position yourself and the screen carefully with regard to the sun and any bright sky.

I've seen a couple of homebrew deep shades - basically a butchered Amazon box (we've all got one or two of those lying around at any time, right?) made into a very deep rectangular shade. I've seen them made deep enough that you can rest your head against it and block all the light out...

thedixons said:
Can you purchase or make sunshields, visors etc for them or should I be looking at something else.
Thanks in advance!

Being Mr Cheapo here, I just took some heavy duty construction paper and started cutting. I had to make up three of them before I found the right size and shape that worked. I used dark color paper (a cross between paper and cardboard) and it works fine.

However, as Pull_Up shows, you can get some really cool "official" units that work great too. :geek:

Get a phone with the brightest screen possible. I picked up an HTC One and it has a superb screen. Then get a NuShield DayView screen guard. Its a screen guard that eliminates glare. With this combination even on a sunny day in the Canadian winter when there's a crazy amount of reflected light off the snow I can still easily see the screen. I tried building some sort of a homemade screen shroud and found it didn't make much difference to the glare, but did make it difficult to quickly look back and forth from P2V to screen.

I tried using an anti-glare screen protector on my iPhone and it cut the reflective glare from the front between the iPhone and me (not just glare from behind and surroundings). This has been critical in the high-reflectance of our very snowy landscape and when I turned up the brightness of my iPhone screen and used the anti-glare screen protector I did not need to use my homemade iPhone shade.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20