Troll removal action

Reaction score
..Most of us have experienced a troll or two on this site. Disgusting and annoying as they may be, there is a way around the problem. Most of us remember the great news commentator Paul Harvey. When ever some person did something odd or stupid he would handle it the best way possible. He would say, "They would like me to mention their name......Page 2." That would/should be the same with our news networks today. Instead of mentioning what maniac or lunatic group did some thing major in the world, they should just state it was some insane group and NOT state what group they are. Those insane people live for that praise. Don't give it to them.
..Same thing here with a troll. They make a comment to stir up enverone to get their kicks. Well, I think we are all big enough to just ignore any of their comments and continue with the thread and post intelligent answers and not even mention them. When some troll calls you an idiot that does not know anything, ignore them. I know that I can. Because I know they are just doing it to get their kicks. When you jump right back with "I have five degrees and two PhD's and know what I am talking about." That is just what the troll wants. So they can jump back with something else derogatory to keep their kicks going. Well, just ignore them and forget about anything they say that is not nice and applys to the topic.
Lets give it a try on the next troll.

I too mentioned a similar means or tactic near what became the end of the 'Amazon Drone' thread that we should just ignore him and he'll go away.

It seems many just couldn't resist (not judging anyone) so it continued until the poster was [finally] suspended.

The troll just wants a response, no response = no fun for "them".

Yea, my dentist has a sign in the office:
"Ignore your teeth and they'll go away!"

Personally I'm slightly afraid to say this and sry to go all serious like

I miss it, I never see a troll even when it's pointed out, I see radical opinions or a person with an overzealous passion for their own or others topics. I see freedom of expression and plain rudeness sometimes but it's allowed in context in these forums.

I read a lot of new posts everyday so I am informed as any and I haven't spotted this Troll effect

I see it mentioned a lot, I accept it may be naivety on my part but I do enjoy the more colourful post that some start saying “a Troll” has entered the building
I think we have to be careful and a bit more lending others respect knowing we don't know them and they have a point we don't perhaps understand as yet

I was called a Troll once but looking deeper into that person I saw he was a very serious type, I understood he didn't think I was genuine at the time so gave him a big sorry

You call someone a Troll and you instantly go the emotive response, that is worse and even bullying
Those that attack really are just a bit “behind”, be careful we don't get old before our time.

My son-in-law is 32 runs a large company and is years older than me in mind, it just a bit of a shame to see someone so smart missing out on the brilliance of people

Just one example of a Troll plz (and don't say me because of this post)

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory, extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the deliberate intent of provoking readers into an emotional response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion.
Above is from a well known online dictionary. It well describes what we have experienced on this site.
steveeds,
"I read a lot of new posts everyday so I am informed as any and I haven't spotted this Troll effect"
Above is a sentence from your post. A post that is greatly appreciated. But from what the definition above states we have had that several times on this site.
The main reason for this thread is to get members to bring a stop to these types of people. Not ones with a passion for their own or others topics.

As my dear Grandmother used to say;

"You can't complain about the pigeon **** on the stoop when you're the one putting out the food for them."

I often fail to heed Gram's sage advice.

Trolls demand attention. They check back to see what you posted in reply to their comments. Our emotional responses are very gratifying for them and reinforces that behavior.

Isn't it interesting how we hardly ever call them a "troll" when they are trying to illicit a response from us while we are DRIVING? A bunch of other words pop into my head though. :evil: :lol:

I agree with this in theory. However - there are dozens upon dozens of people here who won't read this and will respond.

I have a hard time when I see someone getting blasted for a simple question just "letting it go" - so I am guilty of getting sucked in. I like this forum and most of the people here so much that I innately try to defend.

I DO know, though, that logic doesn't appeal to the troll and they will rubber band around just to get a reaction...

I have taken to just reporting them when they get personal with their attacks (or vulgar) and the Mods have done a great job responding to the reports.

In another thread someone mentioned this was a diagnosed disease - That instantly made me do some research, because I LOVE psychology (have a MS in it) and found that the psychological drivers are:

Narcissism
Psychopathy
and SADISM - yes SADISM - actually wanting to hurt other people.

This info certainly doesn't give us anything to stop them... but it has help provide perspective to me that I just have to let it go (I can't fix crazy).

But to someone else's comment - there ARE people here who argue with great abandon but aren't necessarily trolls - what I have noticed about them is that they at least stick to their argument (rather than changing it to always be the devils advocate)... and sometimes they go overboard and become a tad insulting - but I think this has more to do with the brazenness of anonymity the internet provides.

Buckaye said:
I agree with this in theory. However - there are dozens upon dozens of people here who won't read this and will respond.

I have a hard time when I see someone getting blasted for a simple question just "letting it go" - so I am guilty of getting sucked in. I like this forum and most of the people here so much that I innately try to defend.

I DO know, though, that logic doesn't appeal to the troll and they will rubber band around just to get a reaction...

I have taken to just reporting them when they get personal with their attacks (or vulgar) and the Mods have done a great job responding to the reports.

In another thread someone mentioned this was a diagnosed disease - That instantly made me do some research, because I LOVE psychology (have a MS in it) and found that the psychological drivers are:

Narcissism
Psychopathy
and SADISM - yes SADISM - actually wanting to hurt other people.

This info certainly doesn't give us anything to stop them... but it has help provide perspective to me that I just have to let it go (I can't fix crazy).

But to someone else's comment - there ARE people here who argue with great abandon but aren't necessarily trolls - what I have noticed about them is that they at least stick to their argument (rather than changing it to always be the devils advocate)... and sometimes they go overboard and become a tad insulting - but I think this has more to do with the brazenness of anonymity the internet provides.

+1
Especially the last paragraph.

dirkclod said:
terrylowe said:
Isn't it interesting how we hardly ever call them a "troll" when they are trying to illicit a response from us while we are DRIVING? A bunch of other words pop into my head though. :evil: :lol:
Now terry....you know we don't talk like that down here ;)

I didn't say that I said those words out loud. Well....OK. Maybe a little under my breath. :oops:
But you are right. Down here in the deep deep South, when they stop at a green light in front of us, we say "Bless their heart!!" :?

Did someone say Psychopathy ;)

Is trolling really an issue on here? I often have a quick look around most days. Haven't seen much trolling or arguing on here. Mind you some parts of the forum are unexplored by me x)

PsychopathRC said:
Did someone say Psychopathy ;)

Is trolling really an issue on here? I often have a quick look around most days. Haven't seen much trolling or arguing on here. Mind you some parts of the forum are unexplored by me x)

There's kind of been a spate of it after Christmas. But I agree... In general it's fairly low on this board.

PsychopathRC said:

I have seen varying levels of trollism. (Yeah. Trollism. Ha new word!) I would consider any kind of obnoxious unhelpful reply as being a bit of a troll. I grew up in a culture where politeness was strictly enforced ;) In other parts of our country and world, some of the behaviors that I consider rude are pretty normal for that area. So maybe my opinion on what constitutes a "troll" may be a bit skewed. Or maybe not.

I am a diver and you should see the level of trollism on that community board! We just blame it on surfacing too quickly. :shock:

Happyflyer said:
..Most of us have experienced a troll or two on this site. Disgusting and annoying as they may be, there is a way around the problem. Most of us remember the great news commentator Paul Harvey. When ever some person did something odd or stupid he would handle it the best way possible. He would say, "They would like me to mention their name......Page 2." That would/should be the same with our news networks today. Instead of mentioning what maniac or lunatic group did some thing major in the world, they should just state it was some insane group and NOT state what group they are. Those insane people live for that praise. Don't give it to them.
..Same thing here with a troll. They make a comment to stir up enverone to get their kicks. Well, I think we are all big enough to just ignore any of their comments and continue with the thread and post intelligent answers and not even mention them. When some troll calls you an idiot that does not know anything, ignore them. I know that I can. Because I know they are just doing it to get their kicks. When you jump right back with "I have five degrees and two PhD's and know what I am talking about." That is just what the troll wants. So they can jump back with something else derogatory to keep their kicks going. Well, just ignore them and forget about anything they say that is not nice and applys to the topic.
Lets give it a try on the next troll.

Great post Happy. I'm game. Personally, I would appreciate a PM if anyone notices me taking the hook. ;)
I do inform the appropriate mod when I see a troll running rampant. There is no reason they should be permitted to waste our time. My hope is, they will simply get the boot.

Thanks, WY

GoodnNuff said:
As my dear Grandmother used to say;

"You can't complain about the pigeon **** on the stoop when you're the one putting out the food for them."

I often fail to heed Gram's sage advice.

Love it. I had a North Carolinian friend who used to say:

"Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, but the pig likes it."

dirkclod said:
[ "Never wrestle with a pig. You both get dirty, but the pig likes it." ]
Originally From there and ya right Clipper ! :lol:

I knew it! I could tell from your online accent.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic