Trinidad & Tobago Flying

Reaction score
I have a upcoming business trip to Trinidad & Tobago soon and plan to take my Phantom 3. I'm worried about clearing airport customs with my bird along with flying concerns once arrived. Drone registration with the Trinidad and Tobago Civil Aviation Authority (TTCAA) is required and I am O' k with that. The other issue is "The Ministry has advised against the use of laser lights, which can interfere with a pilot’s ability to land an aircraft safely." The shining of laser lights during aircraft landing or taking off is strictly prohibited by law. Persons caught so doing will be arrested and may be prosecuted in the Courts. I assume the Phantom's lights are considered "Laser Lights" Does anyone have any Trinidad & Tobago airport customs and or flying experiences to share?

The Phantoms lights for one are downward pointing and located on the arms as you know. They are not anywhere near the intensity of what would be considered a laser. They are LED -Light Emitting Diodes. Plus they have a shield or diffuser placed over them that helps to distribute the light and not focus it like a laser would do.

So its not like you would be outside an airport holding your Phantom with its lights pointing towards and approaching aircraft with the intent of blinding a pilot. Even if you did that the light emitted would never blind a pilot. Perhaps distract them for a moment if they were very close to you , but never blind or disorient them.

Green lightwave lasers are typically the type that is used to blind pilots on purpose as they produce a color that has more intensity and range.

Where can you register with ttcaa

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Note the copied TTCA contact information :

ADMINISTRATION (868)-669-4302 (868)-669-5397 [email protected]
CORPORATE SERVICES (868)-669-6075 (868)-669-0589 [email protected]
ECONOMIC REGULATION (868)-669-4302 ext. 237 [email protected]
AIR TRAFFIC MANAGEMENT (868)-669-4806 (868)-669-0635 [email protected]
SAFETY REGULATION (868)-669-0519 (868)-669-5438 [email protected]
TELECOMS (868)-669-4706 (868)-669-5239 [email protected]
AIS (868)-669-4128 (868)-669-1716 [email protected]
CATC (868)-669-4133 (868)-669-6130 [email protected]

Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS)/ Drones :: Civil Aviation Authority of Trinidad And Tobago
https://caa.gov.tt/wp-content/uploa...D-AIRCRAFT-SYSTEMS-DRAFT-REGULATIONS-2015.pdf

Last edited:
I have a upcoming business trip to Trinidad & Tobago soon and plan to take my Phantom 3. I'm worried about clearing airport customs with my bird along with flying concerns once arrived. Drone registration with the Trinidad and Tobago Civil Aviation Authority (TTCAA) is required and I am O' k with that. The other issue is "The Ministry has advised against the use of laser lights, which can interfere with a pilot’s ability to land an aircraft safely." The shining of laser lights during aircraft landing or taking off is strictly prohibited by law. Persons caught so doing will be arrested and may be prosecuted in the Courts. I assume the Phantom's lights are considered "Laser Lights" Does anyone have any Trinidad & Tobago airport customs and or flying experiences to share?
I have an update, I would like to report for those who may be visiting Trinidad & Tobago with your Phantom or soon to be released Mavic. Today, I contacted the Trinidad and Tobago Civil Aviation Authority (TTCAA) Licensing Department, Tel 869-669-4302 x 2177. I reached a very pleasant and helpful staff person, Kevin. By the way, he inquired if the bird was a Phantom. I responded yes. I was told upon arrival, schedule an registration appointment before flying. Come to the licensing section near the tower at Piarco Airport to register the bird; which simply requires a 15 minute orientation and registration with no fees. He said, "I should not have any issues clearing customs and if I ran into a prickly customs official, simply contact him and he would issue a "Letter of Relief" there by providing safe passage thru customs for the bird and myself. I thanked him immensely and proceeded to contact
T & T Customs. I spoke with Ms. Alexander, another pleasant staff person, Tel: 868-625-3311. Ms. Alexander placed me on hold and called her superiors for verification. When she returned, I was told that I would clear customs with no problems. I am somewhat relieved but we shall see. I'll issue a full report upon my return next month from Trinidad & Tobago.

I have an update, I would like to report for those who may be visiting Trinidad & Tobago with your Phantom or soon to be released Mavic. Today, I contacted the Trinidad and Tobago Civil Aviation Authority (TTCAA) Licensing Department, Tel 869-669-4302 x 2177. I reached a very pleasant and helpful staff person, Kevin. By the way, he inquired if the bird was a Phantom. I responded yes. I was told upon arrival, schedule an registration appointment before flying. Come to the licensing section near the tower at Piarco Airport to register the bird; which simply requires a 15 minute orientation and registration with no fees. He said, "I should not have any issues clearing customs and if I ran into a prickly customs official, simply contact him and he would issue a "Letter of Relief" there by providing safe passage thru customs for the bird and myself. I thanked him immensely and proceeded to contact
T & T Customs. I spoke with Ms. Alexander, another pleasant staff person, Tel: 868-625-3311. Ms. Alexander placed me on hold and called her superiors for verification. When she returned, I was told that I would clear customs with no problems. I am somewhat relieved but we shall see. I'll issue a full report upon my return next month from Trinidad & Tobago.

Good information thanks for this. I'm curious to hear how this goes for you. I too have a trip planned the middle of Nov, not sure if you'll be back by then but keep us updated. I go to Trinidad on the 12th and Tobago on the 14th where I plan to do some flying.

I plan to return from Trinidad & Tobago on Nov 10th and provide a report on my Phantom 3 navigating customs, Drone registration and flying location experiences .

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I've flown in and out of Trinidad Tobago multiple times (specificly Port of Spain) never with any kind of trouble. Only time we got questioned and even one time had one of our guys arrested till it was all straightened out was for having to many new un-opened go-pros and other camera equipment. We've never had the Drones questioned. They don't like you bringing in electronics in bulk if they suspect it is for re-sale. The go-pros were, some to be used on multiple boats and the rest were for prizes for the event winners. We go down 2 times every year to film the Carnival Regatta and the Tobago Game fishing tournament. Amazing and beautiful place to fly and film. Have a good time. Argile falls has some beautiful shots to get.

Hello Goodwinn23. The good news is clearing customs was fantastic, not a hitch. Now the problem... My flight from Miami to Port of Spain, Trinidad was originally scheduled to land at 2:00pm. My orientation and registration appointment with the Civil Aviation Authorities was scheduled for 3:00pm Friday 11/04/16 at Piarco Airport. As luck would have it the plane was 2.5 hours late leaving Miami thus causing me to miss my appointment. I called the Civil Aviation Authority to inform them of the problem and they suggested to reschedule for Monday 11/7/2016. My company paid for the weekend business trip at business rates. I thought about staying an extra day or two just for flying at my own expense to include a possible $100.00 to $200.00 change of flight fare but decided against it given the rainy and cloudy weather and added cost. Bottom line, I am sorry to report, I did not fly for fear of the authorities seizing my bird without proper registration. It was a great drill getting it thru customs however, I wish I had more to report. Thank you for your inquiry.

Hello Goodwinn23. The good news is clearing customs was fantastic, not a hitch. Now the problem... My flight from Miami to Port of Spain, Trinidad was originally scheduled to land at 2:00pm. My orientation and registration appointment with the Civil Aviation Authorities was scheduled for 3:00pm Friday 11/04/16 at Piarco Airport. As luck would have it the plane was 2.5 hours late leaving Miami thus causing me to miss my appointment. I called the Civil Aviation Authority to inform them of the problem and they suggested to reschedule for Monday 11/7/2016. My company paid for the weekend business trip at business rates. I thought about staying an extra day or two just for flying at my own expense to include a possible $100.00 to $200.00 change of flight fare but decided against it given the rainy and cloudy weather and added cost. Bottom line, I am sorry to report, I did not fly for fear of the authorities seizing my bird without proper registration. It was a great drill getting it thru customs however, I wish I had more to report. Thank you for your inquiry.

I really appreciate the response. Sorry to hear you didn't get to fly I'm sure you were totally bummed by that I know I would have been. I was wondering if you heard they were strict down there on the laws for these things if that's why u didn't want to chance it. Hopefully the weather will better when I'm there. Again thanks for the info I head down there tomorrow.

Yes, my understanding is the restrictions are lengthy and very rigid.
Ask for Toni Dillon 868-669-4302 orientation and registration staff person. Registration is free and orientation requires 15 to 20 minutes. When are you scheduled for T&T?

Perfect sounds good. I go to Tobago on Monday as well by plane so hopefully I will get to register b4. Thanks again for your help and I'll let u know how it goes.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20