Tried using my Iphone 6 as a hotspot with wifi ipad mini...FAIL

Reaction score
I tried using my Iphone 6+ as a hotspot to my Ipad Mini Wifi. I was told this would work from a source I thought was very knowledgeable. So I thought I would test it....

Well, it just barely works. "F" modes won't work. Complains of "too weak a GPS Signal". The camera feed is also super laggy.

I tested this at my usual testing grounds. Wide open space for hundreds of meters in all directions, next to no trees, and those that are there are short no more than 20' high, clear skies and my flying app, says; "Good Flying Conditions". When I fly with my Iphone 6+ directly, all "F" mode functions work.

So effectively, it doesn't work or it didn't work worth a darn for me. But YMMV... just my experience...

I tried using my Iphone 6+ as a hotspot to my Ipad Mini Wifi.
All this will do is give your iPad Mini access to the Internet. It will not allow your iPad Mini to use your iPhone's GPS.

Reactions: QuadBart
Sucks but I'm just going to go on Craigslist and try and find a Ipad Mini 2 or newer with cellular. I thought I did my homework before I bought my P3A, but apparently I missed that small yet expensive detail...

I believe you will still need an external GPS unit to work through your iPad. I bought the Garmin GLO to use with my iPad mini 4. Haven't tried it yet. Hope it works ok

Sucks but I'm just going to go on Craigslist and try and find a Ipad Mini 2 or newer with cellular. I thought I did my homework before I bought my P3A, but apparently I missed that small yet expensive detail...
Just be aware, a stand alone GPS with much better performance than you will find the GPS in an iPad is only $100. Some folks report the GPS out of the iPad mini2 is unsatisfactory.

Just be aware, a stand alone GPS with much better performance than you will find the GPS in an iPad is only $100. Some folks report the GPS out of the iPad mini2 is unsatisfactory.

I'm really curious how this works, seems like a 'cheap' solution, Hurry up and use it so you can report back! :)

Look into Bad Elf and see if you can use it AND the lightening cable at the same time.

I flew 150 + miles and compared the planes gps and bad elf gps with actual ground landmarks and the Bad Elf was exact.
I believe my cost back then was 99 USD

I'm not sure what you are trying to do with your hotspot connected iPad? I'm guessing your iPad Mini is the first generation and it isn't listed by DJI as a compatible device. It just doesn't have the processor speed.

The one thing tethering will do, is download maps for you. It won't do anything as far as turn your non-cellular iPad into a GPS enabled device.

"Some folks report the GPS out of the iPad mini2 is unsatisfactory."

My iPad Mini 2 (cellular) works just fine as a GPS. Its chip utilizes both GPS and GLONASS satellites. What it lacks, and what ever smartphone and tablet lack as a GPS is WAAS capability. So accuracy is under 15 meters 95% of the time instead of the 3 meters that a WAAS enabled device (such as most trail GPS receivers).

Clear as mud?

S

I think this forum has a huge technological defficiency going on here. I thought these quads were somewhat meant for the tech minded people?

I think this forum has a huge technological defficiency going on here. I thought these quads were somewhat meant for the tech minded people?

Well... Aside from insulting a chunk of people... I don't think your comment is particularly true. The whole point of the Phantom is to bring a flying camera platform to the masses... So I am not surprised that there are people here that need more help understanding the tech than others.

That said, there are a lot of people who misunderstand the gps requirement of the tablet/phone for some of the automated flight modes that require knowing where the pilot is in relation to the quad.

Reactions: QuadBart
From what I have read on this topic, and I'm very new to this, the main features you loose are the Follow Me flight mode, and the ability to download map data on the fly.

You can cache the maps in advance I think - there's an option in the app to cache maps?

LOL! What I think we have here is a troll problem! If you've got nothing constructive to add just move on... Apparently someone doesn't know how to use the forum, I guess forums are for computer savy/minded people that know you don't have to respond to every post especially if you have nothing constructive to add...

Back on topic. Found a great deal on an Ipad Air with Cellular and picked that up. Since I'm older the the larger screen will actually be a plus...

the main features you loose are the Follow Me flight mode, and the ability to download map data on the fly.
Currently, the only thing you will lose is the ability to use the Follow Me feature in the DJI GO app and the ability to reset your home point to your current location after takeoff. For the latter, you can still reset your home point to your Phantom's current location (if needed).

You can cache the maps in advance I think - there's an option in the app to cache maps?
In the DJI GO app, enable this setting:

DJI-GO-Cache-Map-In-The-Background.PNG

And, then cache the map images in the DJI GO app -- like this:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: droneuk
Well... Aside from insulting a chunk of people... I don't think your comment is particularly true. The whole point of the Phantom is to bring a flying camera platform to the masses... So I am not surprised that there are people here that need more help understanding the tech than others.

That said, there are a lot of people who misunderstand the gps requirement of the tablet/phone for some of the automated flight modes that require knowing where the pilot is in relation to the quad.
There are just numerous threads here that are duplicative and just not what I have inticipated. I mean, we had a thread made because someone didn't know how to quote in a thread...

I also commented because is $100 really considered cheap? Don't think that's necessary really.

There are just numerous threads here that are duplicative and just not what I have inticipated
This happens in every forum online.

Reactions: Buckaye
The small ELF that plugs directly into the Lightning port on an iPad will not work as you need this port to connect to the controller. I researched and could not find some type of lightning port hub. Therefore the GPS unit needs to be attached via blue tooth.

Using the Garmin GLO in the car, I realized I still needed internet connection for the maps to update as I drove along. I'm not sure I will need this feature if I'm cashing maps ahead of time. Yes/No?

About the only thing I find handy with having a GPS enabled tablet, is the fact when I get to a location where I'm going to fly, and have cached the aerial photos, is it shows where I'm at.

I've done the Follow Me bit just to check it out and kind of doubt I'll use it again. (Which of course requires a GPS device.)

S

I use my S5 active as a hotspot for my iPad air2 wifi only. Works like a charm. The f modes only work when air borne, the weak wifi might have been the bird itself, how many satellite locks did you have?
Seriously, it caches the maps and works perfect.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31