Travelling with your Drone on Commercial airlines

The DJI hard case is about 1 inch too big in one direction. But it is rare for that to matter. I've never been questioned, and have never seen anyone else mention it either.

I don't have the DJI hard case...I have the GPC (GoProfessional Cases) hard case w/ wheels. It's 22.75"L x 18"W x 12"D.

Reactions: Fplvert
The GPC exceeds limitations by leaps and bounds..... Even more likely to get called out for its size.

****... size DOES matter!?!?

Last edited:
I don't have the DJI hard case...I have the GPC (GoProfessional Cases) hard case w/ wheels. It's 22.75"L x 18"W x 12"D.
I have one as well. Awesome case for sure, but too big for carry-on.

I'm sure that flying from Syracuse to Naples in NOT a flight that a person would want to waste his carry-on option to carry a quad that is of no use during that 12 or so hour flight! Batteries will definitely have to be in a carry-on. But the P3 should be in a very sturdy ridged case to help prevent damage. Don't try to lock it, as that will only bring attention to it. Leading to more potential of TSA cutting into it for inspection.
Would that be a "waterproof and ruggedised case"? As plugged incessantly by Irexguy!

Don't try to lock it? If it's going in the hold, surely it must be locked?

Don't lock it? Wow. Nonsense. There are TSA locks that allow agents to open the bag without destroying the locks. It is routine for them and the obvious choice. In fact the TSA itself RECOMMENDS their use. I use them ALL the time, and I fly multiple times every year. Never ONCE had a problem.

Lock your bag with a TSA lock. Case closed. (And safely locked.)

"TSA is careful to not damage any personal belongings, however, we are not liable for damage caused to locked bags that must be opened for security purposes. Again, that is where the value of the recognized locks come in. Please note that if an officer does need to open your bag, a “Notice of Baggage Inspection” will be place in your bag. "

The TSA Blog: TSA Travel Tips Tuesday: TSA Recognized Locks

Last edited:
You realize how easy it is for a normal thief to get ahold of that key right? And a thief is going to look for something people try to protect the most. They don't rob houses in the ghetto! The go up-town and hit the people with a Mercedes in the driveway and cameras all over the place!

Yes, and leaving it unlocked would be far safer.

You seem to enjoy arguing just for the sake of argument. I have done more than 150 flights with TSA locks, and have had not a SINGLE issue. Including two months in southeast Asia flying from Viet Nam through Cambodia, Laos, and South Korea.

I don't leave my bag lying around for ordinary thieves to get at the lock. We are talking about airport security personnel and baggage handlers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ti22
Huh what?

The ruggedised quote, or locking hold luggage?

Irexguy is a southern state (to my ears) user who posts videos on phantom use. He uses a bright yellow case for transport, but instead of referring to his case, it's always his ruggedised and waterproof case, like something from the Truman Show.

Locking hold luggage - maybe it's lost in translation. Is there another option for luggage that is not carry on? We only have carry on and hold. I would never dream of letting unlocked luggage disappear into the bowels of the luggage handling system. You never know what may go missing, or be added behind the scenes!

Your 150 flights are nothing in comparison to the millions of flights taken DAILY! And the tens of thousands of tampering and theft reports filed monthly. Good for you.. you haven't lost anything. Many others have, and will continue to.

The go up-town and hit the people with a Mercedes in the driveway and cameras all over the place!

Ain't been image.jpgyet but they are more than welcome to Nick my wife's Smart car:p

Reactions: III% Streve
And the tens of thousands of tampering and theft reports filed monthly.

Yes, and if they had only left their bags unlocked, none of that would have happened. Hard to discern a real point here, so I am out.

Reactions: Man.Of.Kent
For those who have the GoProfessional Cases gear, as well as other cases using the same latch mechanism, there are replacement latches available with built-in TSA-approved locks. There are three industry-standard lock/latches available, of which B&H Photo carries all three (I ordered mine from B&H Photo, along with the Asus ZenPad S 8.0 Z580CA).

That's the only thing I haven't got yet, to late to order so I'm going to pick some up at the airport in one of the duty free shops.

When I ordered my P3P, I ordered the bundle with an extra battery, plus the DJI hardshell backpack. More recently, I ordered the GPC hard case, and had planned on selling the backpack. However, reading your posting has me rethinking that, as the hard case probably exceeds carry-on measurement limits. Thank you for pointing this out.

The DJI hardshell backpack is small and no worries taking on any airline. The go professional backpack is larger but still fine for carry on. It is within most airlines carry on limits and even if it's an inch over they don't take our tape measures checking things so seriously you have nothing to worry about using the GoProfessional case for carry on.

Reactions: Fplvert

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj