Travelling to USA from Canada

Reaction score
Hello all, quick question for my American friends south of the border. I'll be travelling to Pittsburgh, PA in about a week and a half and wanted to pack my P3S with me to take some nice shots while I'm down south. I've been reading some conflicting information (likely caused by the constant change of rules and regulations pertaining to UAV flight in both the US and Canada) about requirements for flying a UAV "for fun". At last check (a few months ago), you were required to register your UAV with the FAA by law if it weighs more than 0.55 lbs. When I was on the FAA's website earlier today, there is a clause here, which states that "Unless exclusively operated in compliance with Section 336 of Public Law 112-95 (Special Rule for Model Aircraft), the aircraft must be registered if over 0.55 lbs." When examining Section 336, it seems that it is more or less stipulating the exact same legalese pertaining to UAV operation as is outlined by the FAA for "Location Requirements" and "Operating Rules" as is it the legal basis for the law.

My question is this - if flying for fun, do I need to even register my aircraft with the FAA in the first place if visiting the US? Based off the legal jargon above, it doesn't look like it but based off strict consequences for violation of these laws, I'd rather dot my i's and cross my t's before flying south of the border.

Thanks!

You do not need to register any longer. That was overturned by the courts. That is as of today anyway. But check closely for NFZ in the area.

You do not need to register any longer. That was overturned by the courts. That is as of today anyway. But check closely for NFZ in the area.
Thanks for the update. Do you know when this was overturned in the courts? Must've been recently from the looks of it.

Also, what's the point of having the UAS registration page/form still live on the FAA's website if it's been overturned?

Pittsburgh has some large stadiums where professional teams play and other NFZ. I like to use the app. AirMap. It's free, shows NFZ and all airports zones. Also gives ph. #. The FCC site gives hobby flying rules. Generally line of site, stay away from crowds of people, and fly under 400 ft. Have fun. One instance I'm glad we are not Canada.

Last edited:
Pittsburgh has some large stadiums where professional teams play and other NFZ. I like to use the app. AirMap. It's free, shows NFZ and all airports zones. Also gives ph. #. The FCC site gives hobby flying rules. Generally line of site, stay away from crowds of people, and fly under 400 ft. Have fun. One instance I'm glad we are not Canada.
Yeah, already made an itinerary of spots using AirMap for reference so I'm good with places to fly - just making sure I am doing so legally according to local law.Any idea if Pittsburgh has passed municipal bylaws that restrict "model aircraft" flying or anything to that effect?

Thanks! Just what I was looking for to see why there was a dissonance between threads that were a year old and what I am reading today on the FAA's website.

We do have some members from that area. It would be great if one of them would reply. I have even watched one's video flying over the Allegheny river. Most cities are open to drones in this area of the country, but I don't have a definitive answer.

Google it. I did and it will give you some good information. There were some good videos also and ideas of places to fly. Good luck on your trip. Post some of your videos from your trip when you get back. I go there a lot and know the area well. I have never flown there though. I live hour and a half from there.

Google it. I did and it will give you some good information. There were some good videos also and ideas of places to fly. Good luck on your trip. Post some of your videos from your trip when you get back. I go there a lot and know the area well. I have never flown there though. I live hour and a half from there.
Took a look on Google already and didn't find much info so just thought I would do my due diligence here as well. Thanks for the help and I'll be sure to post some photos and videos - very much looking forward to my first drone flight in the US. :)

Took a look on Google already and didn't find much info so just thought I would do my due diligence here as well. Thanks for the help and I'll be sure to post some photos and videos - very much looking forward to my first drone flight in the US. :)
I did't make that too clear. I think it was late? I googled something like, good places to fly drones in Pittsburgh. Anyway, there was a good article that showed good places to fly. Have fun!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj