Traveling with drones/carry on

Reaction score
Has anyone in here traveled with their drones on a commercial flight?
Any issues with it?
Should I check it or can I have it with me as carry on? Please share you experience/knowledge

Should I put the battery on checked luggage?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Xorge
Right. And, make sure you cover the battery contacts with something. I don't know if all airlines will check that, but some might.

You may want to search on this issue as it's been asked many times. While only the lipos need to be taken as carry on, I'm pretty sure the controller has a lipo battery as well (you may want to read the sticker on the back to confirm). I'd also _highly_ recommend that you take the drone as carry on instead of it being thrown around in baggage.

You may want to search on this issue as it's been asked many times. While only the lipos need to be taken as carry on, I'm pretty sure the controller has a lipo battery as well (you may want to read the sticker on the back to confirm). I'd also _highly_ recommend that you take the drone as carry on instead of it being thrown around in baggage.
Agreed. Might as well pack it all in your case or backpack. Keeps it easier.

Thanks for all the recommendations

Any issues with it?
Should I check it or can I have it with me as carry on? Please share you experience/knowledge

Greetings, and yes you can take your Phantom on vacation! I've taken mine to Hawaii a couple of times with no problems.

My advise to you is to get a backpack that will hold your Phantom and all its accessories that is carry-on sized. Most US airlines use 23" x 14" x 9" as the maximum size. I use a Go Professional backpack, but many others will work as well.
image.jpeg

Reactions: Xorge
Greetings, and yes you can take your Phantom on vacation! I've taken mine to Hawaii a couple of times with no problems.

My advise to you is to get a backpack that will hold your Phantom and all its accessories that is carry-on sized. Most US airlines use 23" x 14" x 9" as the maximum size. I use a Go Professional backpack, but many others will work as well. View attachment 41202

Well that's good news. I was a little concerned. I'm flying domestic this weekend. I got a DroneGuard
CS 400 so that should do it.

Reactions: Fplvert
I just flew at the weekend

I packed my batts in my backpack carry on with the drone

Expected some issues but got none whatsoever

I did put my batts in lipo bags I got off amazon but they didn't even open my backpack at any time

Batts must be in carry on

Reactions: Xorge and Fplvert
Any issues with it?

Traveled to Hawaii over the holidays with my GPC backpack as carry on and never had a problem with airlines and TSA. It fit perfectly in the overhead compartment with room to spare. Backpack fit everything I needed to fly, in addition to two chargers and a 15" retina MBP. Pictures below shows how it was packed with batteries and how they fit in the plane's overhead compartment.

PC100022.JPG PC100023.JPGPC100025.JPG IMG_3287.JPG IMG_3288.JPG

Reactions: diveguy and Fplvert
Just got back from Mesa, AZ where I spent 5 days and flew my PS nearly every day and got incredible video on the east end of Mesa where there is a lot of wide open space. I flew Southwest and had no trouble with airport security (flew out of Orlando to Phoenix) either way. I simply put it on the conveyer belt and it went through the scanner. I watched the person viewing the monitor and they didn't bat an eye when it went through. I'm assuming they see a lot of them these days. I was a bit nervous that it might need to be examined and slow us down but there were no issues. I use a DJI hard case and used it as a carry-on bag. Per instructions I had my batteries at about 20% pre-flight and then charged them when I arrived. I got the hard case just in case I might have to check the bag at some point, but I recommend always carrying it on. You cannot check batteries, so make sure those are with you in your carry on bag.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues