Traveling with drone

Reaction score
I just ordered my Mavic Pro and plan to take it out of the country soon. It will be my first time taking a drone on a plane. I've looked at what airlines accept the batteries that the mavic has. I also know I have to drain the battery and carry them on. However, does anyone know how security/customs will go? Any tips would help as well!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Hi Jacob,
Plenty of posts on this, all airlines have guidance in their websites, but basically it'll be fine. Tape over the terminals on the battery, but don't drain them, 50% charge is good. Never had any problem, these people generally know what they are doing, ask for the supervisor if they kick off.

Cheers

Reactions: Jonathan Huff
Just flown out of UK today to the Algarve,first time for me taking my P4. I got a bit worried when the case got diverted on to the inspection conveyor, but all they did was a swab and then waved me through, did not even open the case. I did a lot of research first and concluded all would be OK.
One worry is some airlines divert your hand luggage to the hold even as you board the plane, the batteries are definitely a no no for the hold, so get to the gate early and avoid any possible arguments, maybe use speedy boarding.
Does the US have speedy boarding or is it just Ryanair and Easyjet?

I believe that it's recommended to have a lipo bag but not a requirement. It all depends on what airline you travel on.

And the US does have a fast boarding system but normally you have to pay some money to get that.

I've traveled out of the country with my phantom a few times , never even opened the backpack , 3 batteries @ 50% no lipo bags no problems.

I believe that it's recommended to have a lipo bag but not a requirement. It all depends on what airline you travel on.

And the US does have a fast boarding system but normally you have to pay some money to get that.

I had a Lipo bag hidden in my case just in case, but it looks alarming to those who do not know what it is, so I concealed it and would have produced it only if challenged. Yes the greedy UK airlines charge for speedy boarding.

Hi All,

In preparation of my first trip away with my Phantom I've been doing lots of research and have made this video to try and help others int he same situation!

Hope it helps!

I just ordered my Mavic Pro and plan to take it out of the country soon. It will be my first time taking a drone on a plane. I've looked at what airlines accept the batteries that the mavic has. I also know I have to drain the battery and carry them on. However, does anyone know how security/customs will go? Any tips would help as well!

Jacob,

Have you made your trip yet?. If so how did it go with the Mavic thru TSA and in the plane. Early this February we are flying to Costa Rica for vacation and bringing the Mavic in this trip.

Jacob,

Have you made your trip yet?. If so how did it go with the Mavic thru TSA and in the plane. Early this February we are flying to Costa Rica for vacation and bringing the Mavic in this trip.

It went flawless. I went through a total of 5 security checkpoints. Only stoped once and they thought it was really cool. The only problem I had with it was keeping up with it because it was so small. I did however bring the paper work that said I could bring it on a plane just in case. Never used it. Just make sure the airline allows it/laws in cost rica also allow drones and you'll be good!

I've traveled with my phantom 3 several times. I use the DJI branded Monfrotto backpack (sorry not an ad) and I like it for convenience (backpack style) and accessibility. Security - I'm TSA Pre-check, so I typically get to go through short lines, but be prepared to be stopped. I've been through security several times and am about 50% on getting stopped by them wanted to see more. It only adds about 5-10 minutes to the line, but dont cut your flights close and they've never told me no. I always carry the drone, extra props, 2-3 standard Phantom 3 batteries, 2 chargers, and all the smaller accessories. I dont take knives/screwdrivers as TSA generally doesnt allow those.

As for on the plane, I'm generally overprecautious, but I take the batteries out of the bag and put them in the seat pocket. I also inform the flight attendant(s) who generally say just to keep it accessible (easier to handle if they are out in the open as opposed to stowed in the overhead bin). I do keep a fireproof bag in the seat pocket as well, but I have never used it/put the batteries in it. No issues so far and have made about 4 trips with the drone.

I do know you are NEVER to put the LIPOs in checked baggage, so make sure if they gate check your stuff, you pull them out. Again, back to the backpack, it is small enough to fit under the seat for any aircraft I fly so I dont have to worry about that getting gate checked. I've never done overseas, but will be heading to Hawaii later this year, so will see how that goes.

Best of luck!

Just flown out of UK today to the Algarve,first time for me taking my P4. I got a bit worried when the case got diverted on to the inspection conveyor, but all they did was a swab and then waved me through, did not even open the case. I did a lot of research first and concluded all would be OK.
One worry is some airlines divert your hand luggage to the hold even as you board the plane, the batteries are definitely a no no for the hold, so get to the gate early and avoid any possible arguments, maybe use speedy boarding.
Does the US have speedy boarding or is it just Ryanair and Easyjet?

Did you fly with Ryan air, I’m going to marrakesh and just doing research on how to take my p4

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20