Traveling to Norway (no cell service)

Reaction score
Hey Guys just joined the forum tonight and I'm just looking for some feedback or tips. So here's the deal I'm planning a trip to Norway this upcoming August, extremely excited because Norway is such a beautiful country. I've checked the drone laws for Norway and I know I'll be ok to fly, the only problem I am facing currently is flying without GPS/Cell service. I've had my Phantom 3 for a little over a year and the first time I flew it I made the mistake of taking off without GPS enabled and had a flyaway, I was able to recover it with just a broken gimbal frame but ever since then I've been careful not to fly without gps enabled. I will traveling quite a lot by car so caching the maps could be an option for some locations, but also their may be times where I won't be able to. Any tips for me for when the maps for the location is not available, how difficult to fly without the maps?

how difficult to fly without the maps?
It's not at all difficult.
I'm not sure why people make so much fuss about maps. I think I've used them twice in three years.
I find the radar display is much more use.
I made the mistake of taking off without GPS enabled and had a flyaway
This is a bit puzzling as GPS is always enabled..
Do you mean that you flew in atti mode?
If so its just a matter of flicking the switch back to P-GPS to get back into GPS mode.
If you just took off before you had good GPS lock, you should have quickly picked up sats once in the air.
But having no GPS doesn't make the Phantom flyaway ... it makes it just sit there hovering and drifting with any wind up there.

the fact that you will have no cell service, has nothing to do with gps signal. Norway is part of this planet as much as any other country, with sky above :). The satelites are there, so stay calm, your drone will fly in normal condition, only without map.

Reactions: thrider11 and Oso
the fact that you will have no cell service, has nothing to do with gps signal. Norway is part of this planet as much as any other country, with sky above :). The satelites are there, so stay calm, your drone will fly in normal condition, only without map.
Got it I just went back and read the entire manual as well and I have a better understanding. Thanks a lot!

It's not at all difficult.
I'm not sure why people make so much fuss about maps. I think I've used them twice in three years.
I find the radar display is much more use.

This is a bit puzzling as GPS is always enabled..
Do you mean that you flew in atti mode?
If so its just a matter of flicking the switch back to P-GPS to get back into GPS mode.
If you just took off before you had good GPS lock, you should have quickly picked up sats once in the air.
But having no GPS doesn't make the Phantom flyaway ... it makes it just sit there hovering and drifting with any wind up there.
Meta, my next question though is I've also read that their is an altitude limit on the Phantom 3s of 500 meters with is about 1700 feet if that is the case and I'm unable to connect to the internet will the phantom know the altitude of where in taking off from and start the 500 meters from their or will it automatically start from sea level because of the lack of data.

Meta, my next question though is I've also read that their is an altitude limit on the Phantom 3s of 500 meters with is about 1700 feet if that is the case and I'm unable to connect to the internet will the phantom know the altitude of where in taking off from and start the 500 meters from their or will it automatically start from sea level because of the lack of data.
You DO NOT need the Internet or a WiFi connection to fly. The only time you need to connect to the Internet is to do a firmware update or to cache maps.
But an Internet connection has zero to do with flying.
Wherever you take off, the gps in the phantom will record that as the home point and your altitude as zero. No matter if you are at sea level or 3000 feet up on a mountain. Your takeoff point is always recorded as zero. From there you can fly to the max altitude 1624 feet.

Reactions: Wibble
I always leave my phone in flight mode so I get no signal. The last thing I need are updates or even worse customers ringing me when I am flying!. I never use the google maps either!

Reactions: Dantanamo

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues