Traveling to Maui

Reaction score
Aloha,
Travel is my plan and Maui is my destination. My wife an I have been blessed to make this trek many times, filming and snapping pics from the confines of earth, but this time I will take to the air with my Phantom P3P. My mission statement on this trip is simple, maximize my video opportunities and minimize the impact on those that are native Hawaiians or just visiting.

That being said, I am looking for advice on:
Where can I fly vs where should I not?
Are there any unique UAV/Drone regulations for the islands?
Are there any don't miss locations I should capture?
Will Whales be present in late June to early July?

Thank you in advance to any and all who respond with quality responses to my questions.

Mahalo

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Doubtful you'll see whales in June/July. Their prime visiting months are Jan/Feb/Mar. By the end of April most of the are on the way back to Alaskan waters. I've seen a LOT of Hawai'i videos on youtube. Just don't go to Baby Beach down south. The nudists there might get really upset at you. I never had a drone at the time of our visits, 1990 thru 2012, maybe we'll go again with the P4 eventually
The blowholes north of Kapalua might be an awesome area. Kahakuloa at the scenic view parking area would be outstanding. To get a shot of Front St facing the mountains would be great, You might be able to take off on the breakwater at the Lahaina dock. National parks don't allow drones so Haleakala is out, but Hana should provide some good video/shots. The scenic lookout from Kaenae is a prime spot, beware of all the feral cats looking for a handout.
That's all off the top of my head.

Some good options and advice, thanks for the reply. I'll post some clips upon return.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Check out Dustin Dunnill's channel he's from Maui and a really nice man. He has some great vids of the area. I'm sure if you PM him he would give you some location pointers. Dustin Dunnill

Don't forget to stop at Ho'okipa Beach Park for the windsurfers and the scenic overlook at Honolua Bay for the surfers.

Good day @Traveler,

Curious to know what you've found in regards to flying in Maui. From what I can gather, no state parts and no national parks.

Haven't found anything solid on drone registration and I've heard both yes and no to flying near Kaanapali.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31