Traveling to Maui

Reaction score
Leaving this Friday for Hawaii. Any suggestions on getting thru security st the airports ? I have been told that I have to take the drone and batteries inside the cabin. Any problems taking the batteries the batteries on board? Do they need to be totally discharged ? Thank you for any suggestions ?

Leaving this Friday for Hawaii. Any suggestions on getting thru security st the airports ? I have been told that I have to take the drone and batteries inside the cabin. Any problems taking the batteries the batteries on board? Do they need to be totally discharged ? Thank you for any suggestions ?

U shouldn't have any problems, u do have to carry on the drone and any batteries u have. I assume u have a case for all your gear. When I fly with my drone I leave the batteries around 50- 60%, and I put a piece of electrical tape across the terminals on the batteries. I have flown on both AA & UA and the only thing they really look for is that the batteries are not explosive, I guess because they swabbed them at the end of the security process. I really wouldn't worry about it u shouldn't have any problems, have fun in Hawaii...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

U shouldn't have any problems, u do have to carry on the drone and any batteries u have. I assume u have a case for all your gear. When I fly with my drone I leave the batteries around 50- 60%, and I put a piece of electrical tape across the terminals on the batteries. I have flown on both AA & UA and the only thing they really look for is that the batteries are not explosive, I guess because they swabbed them at the end of the security process. I really wouldn't worry about it u shouldn't have any problems, have fun in Hawaii...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots
Thanks for your reply

My understanding is the drone itself, without batteries, can be checked in. The batteries must be carry on. Is that incorrect?

My understanding is the drone itself, without batteries, can be checked in. The batteries must be carry on. Is that incorrect?

No u are correct, u can check the drone itself without batteries, but most people have a case that holds the drone and batteries. Plus if you check your drone it would probably get beat up when tossed around with the other wall luggage..
My bad, what I meant to say was get beat up when tossed around with all the other luggage...

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilotsmy bad, meant to say beat up when tossed around with all the other luggage..

Last edited:
I'd prefer to carry on the drone; but, I'd prefer to carry on my much more expensive dslr camera equipment more than the drone :) So, I have a hard shell backpack case, will make sure it is very secure inside, especially the gimbal, and check it in. I've had two phantoms shipped to me and they both survived okay. I do have images in my mind of picking it up at baggage claim, a wreck. But, that's just my irrational fears, perhaps with a tinge of reality. We'll see. I'll take the chance....I'm taking my P3S and leaving my P3P at home....:)

I'd prefer to carry on the drone; but, I'd prefer to carry on my much more expensive dslr camera equipment more than the drone :) So, I have a hard shell backpack case, will make sure it is very secure inside, especially the gimbal, and check it in. I've had two phantoms shipped to me and they both survived okay. I do have images in my mind of picking it up at baggage claim, a wreck. But, that's just my irrational fears, perhaps with a tinge of reality. We'll see. I'll take the chance....I'm taking my P3S and leaving my P3P at home....:)
If you are flying, you are likely carrying other luggage anyway, what I do is load my drone case inside a larger piece of luggage, pack around it with my spare clothing, carry my batteries and controller in my carry-on. (Most carriers have no problem with internal batteries, under 100 Whrs, even in checked luggage, but having your controller in your carryon might keep security from looking for what looks like a battery in your checked luggage)

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using PhantomPilots mobile app

If you have no choice, you have no choice. I would absolutely avoid putting a Phantom into checked baggage. One other option is to pack and ship it separately (i.e. FedEx) to your location. It might cost a bit more, but the airline is probably going to charge you for the extra bag anyway.

TSA often opens checked baggage. If you lock the case with a non-TSA approved lock, they will break it open. I have had luggage interiors and contents ruined on more than one occasion. They are very ham-fisted when they rifle through the baggage. The best case in the world will not help after they open it and mess with all the contents.

YMMV. I have had too many things ruined by TSA over the years.

Get the lipo fire safety bags for your batteries. TSA has thanked me in the past for having my batteries in these bags.
c46914a0aa41167002cb77c8ec3dc3e4.jpg

Reactions: ServiceCall

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20