Traveling to Europe Advice?

Reaction score
Hey guys I am traveling starting this Thursday from USA to Europe, Sweden, Denmark, UK & France. Has anyone traveled to these locations and wondering if I will have any issues with my P4 going through security? I have read all the stuff about keeping batteries in my carryon...etc.

Anybody flown into these countries with your drone?

Unlikely to have any major issues travelling around Europe with the Phantom. Batteries are the crucial thing though. Most airlines will let you check your Phantom with a discharged battery installed in it. You cannot check any spares in with it though and they must be in carryon discharged.
For that reason it is much wiser (and safer to your P4) to get a backpack solution and have the P4 and batts as carryon.
Either way it is wise to phone the airline before hand just to check if that is ok (or at least check their website).
I know that UK and France have no issues security wise with bringing a quadcopter into the country. You might get asked a few questions about batt charge levels so make sure they are 1 bar level before entering the airport.
Liability Insurance is totally optional in the UK and as far as i know all other EU countries.... But not bad to have just in case of course.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I have travelled extensively through Europe with my old XuGong. Multiple flights, on multiple airlines... No issues ever.
Im off to Frankfurt tomorrow, and then to Paris a few days later. Touching wood Im not jinxing myself, but Ive never even been asked to open my bag...

Just because the UK is officially in Europe does NOT mean that most of us class ourselves as European. We don't have much in common with France or Germany!
You will probably find flying your P4 in Britain is less of a problem than the USA. We haven't banned drones in national parks!!!

Reactions: WRXJIM
Wibble forgot to say that in the UK you're only allowed to fly VLOS (unless you have a spotter), you're not allowed to fly it within 50 meter of a person and not over populated areas. So not everything is less of a problem than it is in the US.

And something nobody mentioned, check regulations for individual countries as they are different. There is no such thing as EU regulation for UAV flights. For now, it's all up to the individual countries to decide how they want to do things.

Wibble forgot to say that in the UK you're only allowed to fly VLOS (unless you have a spotter), you're not allowed to fly it within 50 meter of a person and not over populated areas. So not everything is less of a problem than it is in the US.

And something nobody mentioned, check regulations for individual countries as they are different. There is no such thing as EU regulation for UAV flights. For now, it's all up to the individual countries to decide how they want to do things.

Not quite that simple. If you aren't recording but just flying FPV you can fly closer than 50M,
You are right about VLOS but as long as use use common sense I think most people tend to bend that rule a tad - if 3 miles is a tad........

Reactions: Phantom-Four
Does anyone know of an app that will tell me if its safe to fly before taking off in Europe?

Flying to France next week. Curious on your experience with taking your drone through customs. Also did you have any issues flying your drone there?

Travelled from Australia to Edinburgh with in my p4 think helipak. Haven't needed to open it once. Got questioned about deodorant multiple times as for the drone no issues.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Just because the UK is officially in Europe does NOT mean that most of us class ourselves as European. We don't have much in common with France or Germany!
You will probably find flying your P4 in Britain is less of a problem than the USA. We haven't banned drones in national parks!!!
In the UK, you are not allowed to fly on National Trust land. They own a large amount of land,coastal paths, woodlands etc,it is not always obvious that you are on NT land.
I agree though, I have had almost no problems flying in UK, apart from being asked not to fly in large parts of the Dorset coastline, all NT land.

In the UK, you are not allowed to fly on National Trust land. They own a large amount of land,coastal paths, woodlands etc,it is not always obvious that you are on NT land.
I agree though, I have had almost no problems flying in UK, apart from being asked not to fly in large parts of the Dorset coastline, all NT land.

Which parts of Dorset coastline?...I only asked because I am literally just packing my truck for the Jurrasic coast.

Which parts of Dorset coastline?...I only asked because I am literally just packing my truck for the Jurrasic coast.
Just about the whole of the coast line,Chesil, Durdle Dor Studland, Green Cap etc, all NT, and they do have Wardens, but the wardens are very polite. The coast line they own is down to some mean tide level.

Just about the whole of the coast line,Chesil, Durdle Dor Studland, Green Cap etc, all NT, and they do have Wardens, but the wardens are very polite. The coast line they own is down to some mean tide level.[/QUOTE

Is it a conservation problem or privacy thing?

Is it a conservation problem or privacy thing?
Some privacy issues, naturist beaches etc, but mainly a general ban meant to stop you filming Stately homes etc, but the rest of the land got caught up in the overall ban.
Many areas such as Studland, Harrys rocks, Durdle dor are packed with tourists, so I think they may have had complaints.
I live on Lancs Cumbria border, lots of NT land, I do fly here, but only when it is deserted, I stay away from people, never had a problem here.

Some privacy issues, naturist beaches etc, but mainly a general ban meant to stop you filming Stately homes etc, but the rest of the land got caught up in the overall ban.
Many areas such as Studland, Harrys rocks, Durdle dor are packed with tourists, so I think they may have had complaints.
I live on Lancs Cumbria border, lots of NT land, I do fly here, but only when it is deserted, I stay away from people, never had a problem here.

****, I wanted to fly right through 'the door' this afternoon. Think I might go take a look any ways . Thanks for info.;)

Hi,
Saw your post. Flying in Sweden no hassle however . .
Do not fly above 120m. Fly in LOS parameters. Don't deactivate restricted area in the P4 ie. Keep clear of airports and other restricted areas.
The bottom line for all Drone pilots . . . Use common sense.

Enjoy your trip.

I just got back from 2 months in Europe, flying in Norway, Svalbard, Sweden, Spain, France and Andorra. At all the airport security checks I had no issues at all, not even a second glance. I had my P4 in its packing box in my GoProfessional backpack, with 4 batteries as carry on. Everything with wires (chargers etc) was packing in a different carry on.

I read carefully the rules for the countries I flew the most (Norway and Spain) and they are all reasonable although it seems a little stricter in Spain. I did about 50 flights and had no issues at all. But I was not pushing it, flying over people or in cities. Mostly just out in the countryside, fjords, etc.

Last summer I flew lots in Scotland with no issues security-wire either.

Reactions: CThruU
I'm heading to France next week so this thread is a great help. Am heading to Loire valley then Toulouse area and will be flying all the way. I'll be as people and official friendly as possible but just intend to launch and photo where I can.....avoiding populated areas.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4