Traveling the US, Vision vs Vision +

Reaction score
Hello,

I am starting a 2 year trip around the US in an RV and want to purchase a phantom. I would be hiking often with this strapped to a backpack so the gimbal on the vision + makes me a bit nervous as far as durability goes. I have already seen handfuls of threads on how easily this setup breaks. However the stability on video is beautiful.

My next option would be go the Phantom 2 Vision route, without the new 3 axis gimbal since this looks to be less moving parts and might be more durable taking on hikes, and traveling around the country to get photos of the different vast scenery.

I would love to hear your opinions here before I place an order, I keep going back and forth. Thank you for the help!

The V+ gimbal is solid enough with the supplied plastic lock on it.
I would imagine it's a bit lighter than the Vision too, but not much in it.
You want a dedicated backpack style case rather than slinging it over your back directly.
This would keep all the bits together neatly in the RV too.

I have a pretty killer backpack that fits all my Phantom components but if you need a HIKING pack full of other gear that probably won't work.

If you happen to wind up going the non-Vision, gimbal+gopro route I posted this thread recently of a person on Shapeways who makes a nifty little locking device to hold the gimbal/gopro steady

It will mostly be used on day trips, taken mountain biking, on ATVs, day hikes up the mountains to film good scenery and to get aerial shots of our camp grounds when we are in national parks.

if it's the only backpack you need I can recommend the Vanguard Uprise II 48. It fits everything quite well, I'm very pleased with it.

here's a little video about it

there's a huge backpack / case thread here , lots of good info

I'm most concerned about unit durability, in the vision vs vision +.

If you were buying right now would you still buy a vision + with all the nightmare stores and gimbal issues? Or would you go the standard vision route without the gimbal?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20