Traveling internationally - US to Australia - quick questions

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I have a few quick questions...hopefully someone down under can help!

I have looked at the Australia drone laws and it seems to indicate I can fly my p3p there, just not over people. Correct? What about in Sydney? I was hoping to fly over the bay, but want to be sure I understand any restrictions.

Are lipo bags required to fly or is discharging good enough? I will have a hard shell case and will be carrying on.

If anyone has ideas or answers, I appreciate it!!

bk

There are restrictions on flying around the Harbour Bridge.
I'm not sure how far they go but perhaps a member from Sydney can enlighten us.
And if anyone from Sydney knows of good places to take off from (I will be staying in CBD), please let me know here or PM. Thanks!!

There isn't many places in the CBD that you can fly, It's heavily populated.
The Bridge is restricted as sea planes land there (rarely). We've had an idiot that has already crashed into it.
I have flown in surrounding suburbs (like Bondi/Coogee) but very early in the morning when there is no one around. Best is that you get the golden hour in the mornings.

Hey go to the Royal National Park south of Sydney. It is a little bit of a hike but there is some nice places to fly there

Download the app 'safe to fly?'.

I don't think you can legally fly there because of the helipads at the Royal prince Alfred hospital, north shore hospital (used regularly) and Victoria Barracks (used rarely).

There is some amazing views at Vaucluse if your not willing to risk the helipad radius zones.

Thanks for the tips. I wanted to try and get a shot of the bay, downtown, and opera house. Any idea how far the bridge restrictions go and if I could take off from one of the points a mile or 2 away?

Thanks for the tips. I wanted to try and get a shot of the bay, downtown, and opera house. Any idea how far the bridge restrictions go and if I could take off from one of the points a mile or 2 away?
Anywhere from Darling Harbour to the Opera House is going to be crowded with lots of foot traffic and no quiet places to take off from.
I'm going there in a few weeks and will be looking at opportunities closer to the entrance to the harbour.

Hey everyone,

I have a few quick questions...hopefully someone down under can help!

I have looked at the Australia drone laws and it seems to indicate I can fly my p3p there, just not over people. Correct? What about in Sydney? I was hoping to fly over the bay, but want to be sure I understand any restrictions.

Are lipo bags required to fly or is discharging good enough? I will have a hard shell case and will be carrying on.

If anyone has ideas or answers, I appreciate it!!

bk
No flying over beaches with people ...so maybe an empty beach is OK.
Most if not all parks. Ovals playing fields, recreational areas...no fly ?
Usual no fly over houses, people ..near vehicles, homeless sleeping rough, drunks asleep in the gutter, or police busy chasing a P plater.
No flying on or near Sydney bridge after idiot crashed his quad there.
No fly ..botanical gardens or ferry terminals...although uTube has vids of a guy all over the botanical gardens.
Be advised we have jobsworth Rangers who delight in giving out grief!

Basically all the civil restrictions imposed by local government world wide...apply in Australia....coz most council members never had a decent job...cannot think clearly and let the one with the most gob copy whatever the USA does.

Last edited:
Reactions: mal is up
Anywhere from Darling Harbour to the Opera House is going to be crowded with lots of foot traffic and no quiet places to take off from.
I'm going there in a few weeks and will be looking at opportunities closer to the entrance to the harbour.
Get the ferry from Circular Quay to Watsons Bay. Go past Doyle's fish and chip takeaway...the best in Sydney...and up the slight hill towards The Heads.
You should be able to wander of the path and find a spot to take off.

You don't have much area in and around Sydney to fly.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442574550.879606.jpg

What about south of Manly Beach off the off the cliffs of North Head? Is that ok space?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4