Travel to Costa Rica with questions...

Reaction score
Hi All,

I will be traveling to Costa Rica in October for my honeymoon and would love to bring my P3 with me. I know a lot of people on here travel often and there have been some customs issues in certain countries but I cannot seem to locate anything regarding Costa Rica.

I would love to here from anyone who has traveled there recently or even lives there.

Thanks,

If you are on Facebook, check out the UAV Costa Rica group. Otherwise, check with your airline for any restrictions. It's a beautiful country with lots to photograph and video!

Thanks for the tip regarding the Facebook group. Unfortunately I'll need to brush up on my Spanish first...

I spent a couple of months in Costa Rica early this year and saw a tourist from the U.S. Flying a phantom, so I'm assuming you won't have a problem. This was in tamarindo. Generally, they are really laid back in Costa Rica, I doubt you'll have any problems

Hi All,

I will be traveling to Costa Rica in October for my honeymoon and would love to bring my P3 with me. I know a lot of people on here travel often and there have been some customs issues in certain countries but I cannot seem to locate anything regarding Costa Rica.

I would love to here from anyone who has traveled there recently or even lives there.

Thanks,

In fact, Aviación Civil has threatened to charge $6000 for certification plus insurance plus some kind of licensing. I am hoping it gets forgotten but can't be sure yet-please post how your experience goes

I just got back Monday from a week at my place in Playa Flamingo. No problem at all, coming in, flying around or leaving. Just be sure to declare it in the form you get on the plane coming in. I declared it as "aerial filming equipment."
Only remotely unpleasant situation was one guest at my complex looking at me like I'd pissed in his Corn Flakes as I was making my way back to my unit.

Attachments

• palms-aerial.jpg
    palms-aerial.jpg
    312.7 KB · Views: 397
In fact, Aviación Civil has threatened to charge $6000 for certification plus insurance plus some kind of licensing. I am hoping it gets forgotten but can't be sure yet-please post how your experience goes

Is there anything on the form to insinuate that we need to declare?

I will. And I saw online about the $6000 "licensing fee" but my understanding is that those regulations were not in place yet.

The only regs that I could find were all of the common ones:
Don't fly more than 400 ft
Don't fly at night
Don't fly near airports
Don't fly near crowds

Anything else that I should know?

Anyone else down there recently? I leave in a week and was curious if anyone had a recent experience

Thanks,

Anyone else down there recently? I leave in a week and was curious if anyone had a recent experience

Thanks,
Ditto
I leave the day after Christmas
Would like to known before hand
Thanks for any info

Ditto
I leave the day after Christmas
Would like to known before hand
Thanks for any info

Just thought I'd let you know that I just got back yesterday and had 0 issues whatsoever.

On my way both in and out of Costa Rica they didn't exen ask a question or open the case.

The only downside was that atone of the resorts we went to there wasn't anywhere where I felt I could safely fly.

Enjoy your trip, I had a great time

Thanks for the info. Going there for a week in May and will definitely be bringing the Phantom! We are staying at a house and not a resort so hopefully there's fewer people to disturb.

Thanks for the info. Going there for a week in May and will definitely be bringing the Phantom! We are staying at a house and not a resort so hopefully there's fewer people to disturb.

I will say make sure to check local regulations before you go. Apparently there is a bill that has been proposed that has some very strict and costly rules. I know nothing about Costa Rican law, but just something to keep an eye on

Last time I went, all they ask is pleasure or business? How long you plan to stay?
Never once do they ask or look at what's in my bag!

That standard encounter with custom/immigration(past 4 yrs)include Costa Rica, Mexico, Peru, Spain, Turkey, England and Germany.

Just remember. Basically you are bring with you a toy! Not a weapon of mass destruction :)

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Just got back and all was good. Pleasantly surprised to see CR airport police actual knew to check if the lipo was under 100wh. US customs in Houston gave me a little "advice" to make sure I could provide proof of purchase with a serial number match stating I bought the drone (or any other expensive electronics like my Nikon D610) in the US.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj