Transportation in Airplane/ through Aiports

Reaction score
Can i Have some advice ?

I'm planning this Saturday to take with me my PV2+ to Mexico. I fly

POZNAN ( POLAND ) - MUNCHEN - (GERMANY ) by Lufthansa
MUNCHEN - MEXICO CITY by Lufthansa
MEXICO CITY - MANZANILLO - by American Airlines

I was wondering if there will be any problems with my baggage. Will take two baggaes ( one with Personal staff and second only CASE ( HPRC) with Phantom plus three batteries. IS it going to be challenge or should be without problems?
Shall I printout from somewhere battery characteristic to prov volume and voltage ? Does anyone was flying by Lufthansa with Phantom before ?

Any assistance highly appriciated.

Just check the airline regs on transporting LI-Po/Ion batteries - sometimes they can be pretty restrictive on that stuff - I would say that is your only risk factor - it is just a bunch of electronics - other than the bag getting lost...

Good Luck.

Been through TSA 8 times and they never said a word about the Phantom, didn't care about the batteries.

Security in Canada couldn't care less. I told them it was camera equipment. I had to open the case but I think it was more curiosity than anything else.

Air Canada regs on LiPos are quite specific:
  • Only in carry-ons
    Max of 100 Watt-hours per battery (2,200 mAh 3S = 2.2Ah * 11.1V = 24 Wh) but no limit on number
    If over 100 Wh, then only two batteries and they must be less than 160 Wh

Check your airline rules. Don't look at the Lithium battery rules as LiPos have much less Lithium content.

I will also add that I plan to take phantom as main baggage, not carry on. I will check Lufthansa rules. Do you know where can i have some specs of phantoms baterries?

I'm taking mine from UK to Spain next week. I have a hard case for it which would have to go as hold luggage at a cost of £50 so instead I put that £50 toward one of the backpacks and will now take it as carry on luggage. So in effect I get a backpack at half price :) I hope there are no issues through security.

mchrol said:
I will also add that I plan to take phantom as main baggage, not carry on. I will check Lufthansa rules. Do you know where can i have some specs of phantoms baterries?

According to most North American airlines, LiPo batteries cannot go in checked luggage; they must be carried on. Air Canada allows either multiple batteries less than 100 Wh or two between 100 and 160 Wh.

Look at the specs printed on the side of your batteries and multiply the Ah by 11.1 for a 3S or 14.8 for a 4S batteries. For example, 2,200 mAh 3S = 2.2 Ah * 11.1 V = 24.42 Wh.

Ooops. Didn't know about the Li-Po reg. Our crew had no problem, in a hard case, as checked luggage flying from LAX to DFW and from LAX to GDL (Mexico).

And just remember if you are using a hard case, look for the release valve so your phantom doesn't get crushed from change of pressure.

That's my camera travel bag. Fits the Phantom perfectly with 4 batteries.

DJI%20PHantom%20Bag%20Full%20Load.jpg

DJI%20Phantom%20Bag%20with%20props.jpg

Mako79 said:
And just remember if you are using a hard case, look for the release valve so your phantom doesn't get crushed from change of pressure.

do you have a link for where i can buy that backpack?

Bag is called Fancier KINGKONG 40 series 1

I can't find it anymore.
I purchased it on ebay UK. Cost about $100 AUD inc delivery to Australia..
Love it because it's easy to trek with and quick access to the remote so I can power the wifi first for quick launch.
And it's perfect for overhead compartments.
The bag is configurable and has a hidden raincoat compartment.

DJI%20Phantom%20Bag%20Top%20Compartment.jpg

I took 1 once to florida as checked baggage and it was lost for 12 hours. Really was scary. On the way home I carried it on. TSA looked at it, but as some1 said above, I think they just wanted to see 1. A few months later went to mexico (carry on) and TSA looked at it again, but no probs. Neither time did they even mention the batteries. I would recommend carrying it on.
Will

Mako79 said:

Thanks for tip. In my case there is something like that actually. I believe I cant do nothing ( close or open that valve) with this valve.

BTW nice two wheels :)

willriii said:
I took 1 once to florida as checked baggage and it was lost for 12 hours. Really was scary. On the way home I carried it on. TSA looked at it, but as some1 said above, I think they just wanted to see 1. A few months later went to mexico (carry on) and TSA looked at it again, but no probs. Neither time did they even mention the batteries. I would recommend carrying it on.
Will

The problem is , my Hard case with Phantom anc accessories weight appx. 12,5 kg , so I am not able to carry it on.

Mako79 said:
Bag is called Fancier KINGKONG 40 series 1

I can't find it anymore.
I purchased it on ebay UK. Cost about $100 AUD inc delivery to Australia..
Love it because it's easy to trek with and quick access to the remote so I can power the wifi first for quick launch.
And it's perfect for overhead compartments.
The bag is configurable and has a hidden raincoat compartment.

DJI%20Phantom%20Bag%20Top%20Compartment.jpg

You mean this valve should be free at all time? I wrapped in foil to prevent any scratches on my case.

Attachments

• 2014-07-11-10-37-28.png
    2014-07-11-10-37-28.png
    800.4 KB · Views: 592
  • 20140711_103621.jpg
    20140711_103621.jpg
    185 KB · Views: 574
mchrol said:
Can i Have some advice ?

I'm planning this Saturday to take with me my PV2+ to Mexico. I fly

POZNAN ( POLAND ) - MUNCHEN - (GERMANY ) by Lufthansa
MUNCHEN - MEXICO CITY by Lufthansa
MEXICO CITY - MANZANILLO - by American Airlines

I was wondering if there will be any problems with my baggage. Will take two baggaes ( one with Personal staff and second only CASE ( HPRC) with Phantom plus three batteries. IS it going to be challenge or should be without problems?
Shall I printout from somewhere battery characteristic to prov volume and voltage ? Does anyone was flying by Lufthansa with Phantom before ?

Any assistance highly appriciated.
Before you leave, make sure you get a green card for the Phantom or it may have to stay in Mexico!

I'm planning to travel from the UK to Las Vegas next month via Philly and are going to buy the phantom backpack and take it on as carry on luggage, the packpack is under the US Airways carryon diamensions. I will be taking a p2, one battery, transmitter with monitor a zenmuse with gopro fitted. Making sure that all batteries are charged incase i get asked to turn anything on. Will also pack in a copy of the multirotor magazine to show what the phantom is incase i get questioned. The only other things in the bag will be my ipad mini, headphones and my ipod. Should be well under the 5kg hand luggage weight.

Mako79 said:

Do you find that the gimbal/camera is sufficiently protected? I'm thinking about getting one of these bags as my hard case is too big to take as carry-on, and I don't want to check it in.

Cheers

I just use the gimbal lock and it seems to be fine. I keep the bag faced down so the phantom sits in the take off position in the bag.
I leave my bag my daily car and it holds up fine. Just make sure you configure in the mode below so the camera and gimbal is isolated.

DJI%20Phantom%20Half%20Load.jpg

Thanks for the info. I might make a gimbal protector using foam or something just in case.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl