Transmitter burned out after iOSD install

Reaction score
Just got my iOSD installed with a plug and play harness from Amazon. I started up the bird to check for updates and the AV transmitter sparked and burned out. No power to the transmitter now. Definitely need to replace the transmitter.

First off, what could have made this happen?

Second, since I am going to replace the transmitter, which one should I get? What is the best?
I see this as being an option
http://www.amazon.com/Immersion-600...49629948&sr=8-2&keywords=fatshark+transmitter

Third, how can I prevent this from happening again?

Thank you in advance for your help!

Here is a pic

Attachments

• IMG_0815 2.JPG
    IMG_0815 2.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 528
John more that likely the plug n play cable you got from Amazon has the power wires crossed. If the video transmitter is an immersion the red B+ wire should be next to the video jack and hopeful you had the antenna attached the TX when you powered up the P2. If the power wires were crossed you shorted out the B+ to the TX and to make sure you will have to open the shell and take a look see. If the B+ is shorted the following photos will help.and of course you will see the burnt out component in front of the cam socket. There are two ways to make the repair. You can buy a surface mount inductor online or replace the the main board for $59.00 if you need to.
Immersion 600mw wiring.jpg
2015-01-21_184122_zpsac023198.jpg

John more that likely the plug n play cable you got from Amazon has the power wires crossed. If the video transmitter is an immersion the red B+ wire should be next to the video jack and hopeful you had the antenna attached the TX when you powered up the P2. If the power wires were crossed you shorted out the B+ to the TX and to make sure you will have to open the shell and take a look see. If the B+ is shorted the following photos will help.and of course you will see the burnt out component in front of the cam socket. There are two ways to make the repair. You can buy a surface mount inductor online or replace the the main board for $59.00 if you need to.View attachment 37457 View attachment 37458

After checking, the power wires are certainly crossed. How is this possible? How can they sell this?

There goes $60.

After checking, the power wires are certainly crossed. How is this possible? How can they sell this?

There goes $60.

If the power wire were crossed as you say then look inside the shell and see if it shorted out the inductor L1 right in front of the cam socket.

If the power wire were crossed as you say then look inside the shell and see if it shorted out the inductor L1 right in front of the cam socket.
I don't see any other damage. I think the problem was that the PnP cable is intended for use with ONLY the Immersion transmitter. The transmitter I have is the ones DSLR pros use, not sure which brand they use but it is not marked. Photo is from before shorting out.

IMG_0753.jpg

Can you tell me if there is any better transmitter than the Immersion 600mw 5.8ghz?

I don't see any other damage. I think the problem was that the PnP cable is intended for use with ONLY the Immersion transmitter. The transmitter I have is the ones DSLR pros use, not sure which brand they use but it is not marked. Photo is from before shorting out.

View attachment 37475

Can you tell me if there is any better transmitter than the Immersion 600mw 5.8ghz?

That's a flysight TX you have in the photo and it wired correctly in the photo. If you have the shell opened check that the cam socket is wired correctly . Working from left to right the first two are video, ground, B+ and ground. The color may not be the same for the first two but red/black for the other two. The only other explanation is there was a solder bridge on the TX itself which cause the short.

That's a flysight TX you have in the photo and it wired correctly in the photo. If you have the shell opened check that the cam socket is wired correctly . Working from left to right the first two are video, ground, B+ and ground. The color may not be the same for the first two but red/black for the other two. The only other explanation is there was a solder bridge on the TX itself which cause the short.
That photo was from before the installation of the iOSD and PnP harness.
Holding the new harness next to the old one shows different wire paths on both connectors, which I should have checked before powering on in retrospect.

That photo was from before the installation of the iOSD and PnP harness.
Holding the new harness next to the old one shows different wire paths on both connectors, which I should have checked before powering on in retrospect.

The way it wired in the before photo is correct according to my research. But was it wired correctly on the CAM socket connector??

The way it wired in the before photo is correct according to my research. But was it wired correctly on the CAM socket connector??
Yes it was correct in that photo. Used it many times with great results.
The connection on the cam socket is the exact same. The PnP harness was just different on the transmitter end.
I think I can conclude that the connections the Immersion and the Flysight TX use are different, and the harness was only intended to be used on the Immersion.

Immersion gets here tomorrow, will update if it works or not.

Yes it was correct in that photo. Used it many times with great results.
The connection on the cam socket is the exact same. The PnP harness was just different on the transmitter end.
I think I can conclude that the connections the Immersion and the Flysight TX use are different, and the harness was only intended to be used on the Immersion.

Immersion gets here tomorrow, will update if it works or not.

You can switch those wire just get a straight pin and push down on the catch to lease the wire and switch them on the PnP harness. Black to the outside and red inside.

You can switch those wire just get a straight pin and push down on the catch to lease the wire and switch them on the PnP harness
Yes, but the transmitter is fried already. There is no restoring it - am i wrong?!
I think it will work just fine with the Immersion. Even if it doesnt, Amazon has a great return policy ;)

Yes, but the transmitter is fried already. There is no restoring it - am i wrong?!
I think it will work just fine with the Immersion. Even if it doesnt, Amazon has a great return policy ;)

You're right the flysight TX is wasted. Which immersion mw TX did you buy? The plug n play B+ is the same but the video isn't so here's a photo.
Immersion 600mw wiring.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj