Transferring videos, losing clarity & quality? compressed?

Reaction score
I transferred videos to my Macbook Pro, and then uploaded them to my Google Drive. It seems that the quality is not as good as when I streamed it off the drone straight to the PC. If I'm going to transfer these videos, I want to ensure that I have the entire file, unmodified and uncompressed. Any ideas?

Re: Transferring videos, losing clarity & quality? compresse

jaywoodz said:
I transferred videos to my Macbook Pro, and then uploaded them to my Google Drive. It seems that the quality is not as good as when I streamed it off the drone straight to the PC. If I'm going to transfer these videos, I want to ensure that I have the entire file, unmodified and uncompressed. Any ideas?

Are you then watching the files back from Google drive or downloading them again?
You are more than likely uploading them in full quality but if you then watch them back (not download them) via Google drive then they more than likely being compressed.
Its the same uploading to Youtube,you upload the file in full quality yet even if you watch it back in HD it's never quite the same quality.

smallman28 said:
jaywoodz said:

Are you then watching the files back from Google drive or downloading them again?
You are more than likely uploading them in full quality but if you then watch them back (not download them) via Google drive then they more than likely being compressed.
Its the same uploading to Youtube,you upload the file in full quality yet even if you watch it back in HD it's never quite the same quality.

I haven't downloaded them off google drive. I am just streaming them. Maybe I'll try to download them and see if that changes anything. I noticed, however, that the sizes are a bit smaller than what my MacBook said.

I run into the same issues with Dropbox. If you stream the clips by clicking links on the Dropbox site, it compresses the hell out of them, and they look like crap. If you download the full file to your local machine and play it back there, it looks fine.

Also, are you just using Finder to copy the files from the memory card to your Mac, or are you using some other transfer utility?

traeger23 said:
I run into the same issues with Dropbox. If you stream the clips by clicking links on the Dropbox site, it compresses the hell out of them, and they look like crap. If you download the full file to your local machine and play it back there, it looks fine.

Also, are you just using Finder to copy the files from the memory card to your Mac, or are you using some other transfer utility?

I'm using Finder, just dragging and dropping to the desktop.

They do it to save bandwidth.
Also it is better to upload already compressed to predefined settings. Saves bandwidth for both sides. Dropbox GDrive are storage, not players, so consider it a preview.
A raw 1080p GoPro video is somewhere around 500Mb/minute, whereas an H264 compressed minute is about 50 megs. If you really want good quality and know you'll be making lots of videos, Vimeo has no ads, no BS, 10 bucks a month.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj