trading advanced for a pro

Reaction score
I bought my Phantom3 Advanced last month before I was actually ready to fly a bigger copter. I have been practicing with the smaller copters and now have the cx20 that I am flying every day and trying to get good enough to fly my Phantom with out crashing it. I have the firmware updated and all but have never put the Phantom in the air.Today I was in the hobby shop in the nearest city, and he has the Pro and I asked if he would like to trade for mine. He said yes, so I will also pay the cost over like $300.00 and swap. The reason is I want the better camera after reading more about it. So does anyone think this is a good or bad idea? I do realize it is a personal choice, money is not a problem, kind of buyer's remorse for not getting the pro in the first place. I am not a professional photographer.
any way thanks and hope to hear some comments.
hope I posted this in the right place
Mike

Reactions: RobBarron
I can say for sure, that I am very happy with my DJI Phantom 3 Professional.

I love the ability to film in 4K which adds a lot of flexibility when editing the video - even if the end product might 'only' be 1080p.

For doing Photos, the Advanced and the Professional should be the same 12 megapixel photos. But a nice bonus of filming in 4K is that you can get some fairly usable snapshots / screencaps from the 4K video. In fact those photos are 8 megapixel photos (but terribly compressed so it is not nearly as good as taking still photos the proper way - which by the way in my opinion is shooting "brackets" - shooting for example 5 photos with varying exposure and combining them into a HDR (High Dynamic Range) photo.

One thing to consider if going for the 4K version is that it does take a fairly new and fairly powerful machine to edit the video. Many older computers can't even play back the 4K video files smoothly o_O

By the way, I've written a small ebook with Tips & Tricks for videography and settings etc. You can download it from my website here (designed to be best viewed on an iPad by the way):

http://phantomfilters.com/ebook/phantomfilters_eBook.pdf

thanks! I looked at it briefly and will study it more! hopeit is ok to put the link on my new web site drones4fun.com

Last edited:
Reactions: PhantomFilters
Your Phantom is going to be a lot easier to fly than your trainer drone.
As for the Pro vs the Advanced, the cameras are identical except that on the Pro, it also does 4K video.
Is 4K video important to you? If you don't know .. the answer is probably no.

Reactions: Mike Mauk
well when I got the advance that was my reasoning, I mean really 1080 HD is really good not sure if I could even tell the difference! Thanks for the advice Meta4 that is what I am looking for is reasons why or why not trade up.

I can say for sure, that I am very happy with my DJI Phantom 3 Professional.

I love the ability to film in 4K which adds a lot of flexibility when editing the video - even if the end product might 'only' be 1080p.

For doing Photos, the Advanced and the Professional should be the same 12 megapixel photos. But a nice bonus of filming in 4K is that you can get some fairly usable snapshots / screencaps from the 4K video. In fact those photos are 8 megapixel photos (but terribly compressed so it is not nearly as good as taking still photos the proper way - which by the way in my opinion is shooting "brackets" - shooting for example 5 photos with varying exposure and combining them into a HDR (High Dynamic Range) photo.

One thing to consider if going for the 4K version is that it does take a fairly new and fairly powerful machine to edit the video. Many older computers can't even play back the 4K video files smoothly o_O

By the way, I've written a small ebook with Tips & Tricks for videography and settings etc. You can download it from my website here (designed to be best viewed on an iPad by the way):

http://phantomfilters.com/ebook/phantomfilters_eBook.pdf

Would you mind if I share this to an Irish Facebook group that I'm a member of? Some great tips.

Just make sure you have a powerful computer to handle the 4k video files. Probably a computer with at least 8 g of ram. Maybe someone with more knowledge can chime in with more details on computer specs needed.

Shouldn't it be less than 300? US, anyway.

I bought my Phantom3 Advanced last month before I was actually ready to fly a bigger copter. I have been practicing with the smaller copters and now have the cx20 that I am flying every day and trying to get good enough to fly my Phantom with out crashing it. I have the firmware updated and all but have never put the Phantom in the air.Today I was in the hobby shop in the nearest city, and he has the Pro and I asked if he would like to trade for mine. He said yes, so I will also pay the cost over like $300.00 and swap. The reason is I want the better camera after reading more about it. So does anyone think this is a good or bad idea? I do realize it is a personal choice, money is not a problem, kind of buyer's remorse for not getting the pro in the first place. I am not a professional photographer.
any way thanks and hope to hear some comments.
hope I posted this in the right place
Mike

Hi Mike,

Just to allay your fears, you will not need any of that practice for flying your P3. It is the easiest thing you'll ever fly! It's not like trying to fly an R/C helicopter at all, it's far more stable and you'll find even landing is an absolute cinch. You can bring it down so softly you wouldn't disturb a sleeping butterfly nearby! Look forward to hearing how you get on :eek:)

Cheers,
Rob

Would you mind if I share this to an Irish Facebook group that I'm a member of? Some great tips.

Happydays, you are very welcome to to do that, absolutely. Please share it - and I would also very much appreciate it if you'll share the link to my little webshop with ND-filters and POL-filters :)

Thanks a lot!

I still need to convert down the bitrate on my 1080P video just to be able to edit it on my laptop lol. I can't imagine the processing power and disk space needed to handle 4K, plus I don't have a 30 foot movie screen in my home so the Advanced will do just fine for me. 1080P and 4K look pretty much the same on a 55" screen. Actually all my cable channels are only 720P and i can't even tell the difference sitting 10 feet away from tv screen.

Your Phantom is going to be a lot easier to fly than your trainer drone.
As for the Pro vs the Advanced, the cameras are identical except that on the Pro, it also does 4K video.
Is 4K video important to you? If you don't know .. the answer is probably no.
Cameras may be identical but I think with the pro you have more options on settings like shutter speed in the pilot app by depressing the right wheel knob.

Cameras may be identical but I think with the pro you have more options on settings like shutter speed in the pilot app by depressing the right wheel knob.
No .. everything's the same except the Pro gets 4K video.
No extra settings. The right wheel and everything else works just the same on the Advanced.

thanks to all that responded. I think after more reading, and the responses here, I will keep the advanced one and like some one said by the time I will need 4k, the Phantom 4 will be out! Everything is evolving so quickly in this area that it is hard to say which way to go. I do not have a big 60" TV nor a brand new computer, and have not been editing video forever, and actually I love looking at great video, I do not see myself editing and trying to make great videos for anyone but myself anytime soon.
So with that I think it is time for me to get my Phantom3 advance in the air! thanks again,
Mike
drones4fun.com

Reactions: JBG

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers