Tradecraft P2V Case observations

Reaction score
I ordered Tradecraft's P2Vision case and it arrived in 3 days! Being close to TX helps.

This is not meant to be an all inclusive review of the case, as there are plenty of those out on the web. These are merely my observations that I did not see discussed elsewhere. That doesn't mean they're NOT discussed elsewhere, that just means I didn't see them. ;-)

It is a nice case. The wheels roll freely and the built in retractable handle is nice when you don't want to carry it.

Is it as rugged as a Pelican style case? IMHO, no. The top of the lid seems to flex more than a Pelican case and the molded stop for the lid (to prevent it from falling backwards when open) is rather small. There is also no provision for air pressure relief. You're supposed to remove an O-ring BEFORE your trip.

As for holding up to 4 batteries (plus one in the Phantom itself), that only hold true IF you either remove the props or never turn the case vertical or upside down.

Why? Because 2 of the battery locations are located below the props when installed. If you leave the props installed, you should remove some top lid foam so the props aren't bent. When you do this, now you have nothing to hold those two batteries in place aside from friction. If the case is placed upside down, the batteries could slide out, putting pressure on the props. When dealing with overhead luggage space, I could easily see someone flipping your case over, trying to gain more space.

Obviously the solution would be to remove the props, but this is not made clear in the advertising nor the photos. And yes, if you are simply using this case for storage and are not flying in an aircraft with it, it is not an issue. In fact, that is the way I use my case, so in theory, I could carry a total of 5 batteries, but if I were flying, I'd only be able to take 3.

The extra prop storage is rather small, IMHO. I wish it was a little larger, both in length and width.

Otherwise, this is an excellent case for those who want to transport their Phantom in their vehicle with the props attached.

Of course, comments, discussion and additions are welcome!

I also purchased the Tradecraft case. It tells you to remove the props if you keep it in the case for any length of time. I have no problem taking the props off and putting them on when I am ready to fly.

The extra prop storage I found small until I found there was an extra piece of foam that was cut but did not get removed prior to shipping. Check the bottom of the storage area and see if there is a lose piece of foam at the bottom and pull it out.

You are right the lid does flex a little and is not as strong as a pelican box.

I thought the case had an automatic valve on the vision case. I may be wrong but I will confirm with Tradecraft to find out. This is from the web site.

24 inches Long x 16.00 inches Wide x 10 inches High
Designed for Phantom 2 Vision or Phantom 2 (Non-Vision)
Air Pressure Valve
4 Battery Slots + 1 Battery can be stored internally
Spare Prop Storage (8″, 8.5″, or 9″)
Charger Slot with additional storage under charger for small loose items, prop wrench, and charger cables
Extra Padded slot for items such as Micro-USB Charger Cables, Extra Transmitter Batteries
Two Latches with twist locks
Silicon Rubber Seal
Three Layers of custom cut foam, ready for the DJI Phantom 2 Vision and accessories
Approximately 14 lbs without DJI Phantom 2 Vision
DJI Phantom 2 Vision and and Accessories NOT INCLUDED
Waterproof, Dust proof, and Crushproof
Case Built to MIL-SPEC Standard
Matte Black
MADE IN THE USA

I like the case and fits my needs very well. Others have reviewed the case and used it to travel on airlines. They have given it good reviews.

Pull_Up said:
Is it such a big deal to keep the props on? It takes about 12 seconds to spin them all on or off before/after a flying session...

Zactly. I flew today for the first time in a month. The very last thing I was concerned about was spinning on the props.

-slinger

Also think that prop removal is a non issue. Traveled with this case to Caribbean on Jet Blue and fit as a carry-on. Had an accident where the case went flying off onto the road after a driver abruptly started moving a jeep with the back-lift open. Tumbled and bounced twice with a heartbreaking thud. A few scratches, but no damage.

I removed the o ring prior to flight - not realizing that this might have not been necessary.

I would highly recommend the case.

I just e-mailed Tradecraft about the o-ring when they list it on the web site as an air pressure valve. Waiting for there answer on it. I like the case and will keep it but think they could have done something a little better about that or change their listing. Over all the case is great.

also if you attach your phone mount as the instructions suggest on page 7, your controller will not fit in the case unless you take the mount off the remote. Personally I like my device mounted low on the arm opposed to the high mount location many use.

Here is the reply from Tradecraft about the o-ring and size of the storage area for the props.

Frank,

Thanks for your comments on the case.

The O-Ring is not needed. Unless you plan on scuba diving with your case, it will remain water resistant and protected without it. It just lets a tiny bit of air in. We leave it in for our customers to maintain waterproof but the only way water would get it the area where the o-ring is if you removed the o-ring and submerged the case under water. You do not need to re-insert it.

In our testing there is room for another set of props. If you need more space you should be able to remove the filler foam piece that is inserted in that area.

I hope that clears up your concerns.

Sales Team

Yes, I know they tell you to remove the O ring for air pressure changes. Pelican cases have an easier way of relieving the pressure, you just twist a knob. For some people, it's obviously not a big deal. But it makes it different than a Pelican case.

RE props, it's simply faster to get into the air and back into your vehicle without removing/installing props.

RE the phone holder on the remote, I'm glad someone else noticed that, too! I had to relocate my mount, too, as I had it mounted the other way.

Thanks for the tip RE the prop storage! I will check mine and see if I have "hidden" space, too!

Pull_Up said:
Is it such a big deal to keep the props on? It takes about 12 seconds to spin them all on or off before/after a flying session...
\

+1 love mine
even cut in extra prop storage area under liner for 4 more extra as back up
yes I have to remove liner to get to them but its only for vacation trips were I want many extras along

A few other comments on the Tradecraft case: In another post, it was stated that you can remove a small layer of foam in the prop compartment to get a little deeper storage. But, a bigger plus, if you have two chargers, is that you can remove a 1" layer of foam in the charger compartment and have room to store two chargers and their cords.

BManCan said:
FSJ Guy said:
There is also no provision for air pressure relief. You're supposed to remove an O-ring BEFORE your trip.

Check out this video review for the Tradecraft XRV case. It shows the air relief at 4:44 which is an rubber piece beneath the latch that can be removed.

http://youtu.be/OxRrwhGTSUQ

I actually made that video. Hope it was helpful! Definitely a nice case. I'm very happy with it. As I mentioned in the video not as heavy duty as a Pelican but very close. The only weak point I found when compared to my Pelican cases was the hinges but I also don't plan to heavily abuse the case. The only other negative was already mentioned and that's the O-ring versus the exterior pressure release valve on the Pelican cases. But again, the foam is higher quality and I'm very happy overall. I travel with it.

Also as mentioned, the directions that come with it specifically state you should remove the props if keeping the case closed and props on for more than a couple hours but in all honesty I store my machine with the props off and put them on before each flight. The self tightening props just make it cake so I see no point in risking damage even if the machine is just sitting on a shelf.

Coming from Pelican cases and such, I was just expecting a relief valve. <shrug>

OTOH, I did find the "extra" storage space that was mentioned. Both my charger and props storage areas instantly got larger! :D

Another tip: I've found a soft sided back pack that almost has the same interior dimensions as the interior foam insert, I'm waiting for the back pack now, and with one mod to the foam it should fit. I also sent a message off to Tradecraft to see if they would sell me the insert separately so I can have a hard and a soft case. Will post on how it all comes together, if I can get all the pieces.

1dr1 said:
Another tip: I've found a soft sided back pack that almost has the same interior dimensions as the interior foam insert, I'm waiting for the back pack now, and with one mod to the foam it should fit. I also sent a message off to Tradecraft to see if they would sell me the insert separately so I can have a hard and a soft case. Will post on how it all comes together, if I can get all the pieces.

Would be interested in one of these back packs if it works. Keep us up to date on it. Thanks

I love my tradecraft case. I did cut the foam on the lid where it goes over the props so that it wouldn't be so tight. I leave the props on and have no problems. But then I haven't tried flipping it upside down. I do wish they didn't have some of the battery spaces under the props, but as has been mentioned, it's a very simple thing to remove and put back on the props. that's one of the very nice features of the phantom.

I love mine. Love the suggestion on the prop and charger area will check that out tonight. I even cut a small area in the front to hold my Ipad Mini and the way I mount my mini and my WIFI range extender modification I can still fit my TX in the same area. It works great for me

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik