ToughCase X3 for Phantom 3-Pro/Adv Review

Reaction score
Today, I received my Tradecraft ToughCase X3 for my Phantom 3 Pro.
http://tradecraftcases.com/phantom-3/
What a fantastic case! I think it's the best one on the market, for the money. The size of the case, is 24"X10"X16". That means it fits as a Carry On, for most Airlines!!
However, you're mileage may vary....so, always be prepared to check this bag, with TSA locks, and remove the LiPo's and carry those with you.
Speaking of locks, this bag has 2 latches, with twist to lock feature. It also has holes drilled nicely to fit those TSA locks.

Now, about the case; it comes with a six layer foam interior already cut out to nicely fit the Phantom 3, Remote(including tablet holder), 5 batteries(plus an additional battery can be stored in the aircraft), charger and various cords, spare props and tools, and, an Ipad Air 2, with Smart Case.
The lid had padding, and an O-ring around the edges will keep out any moisture/rain.
The case has padding where the camera sits, and gently pushes it up slightly to prevent any damage to the dampers due to shock or vibration.

The interior is well thought out, and the foam material appears to be the denser, more expensive material, which will last longer, and provide more support, than some of the cheaper models on the market.

Also-you can leave the props on!!
The case features top and side handles, which each "click" into place for use, or down out of the way, if not needed. So-you can carry it either way.

But the best part for me is, the wheels. It has a retractable handle, that is locked in place until you release it. The handle then telescopes out 16 1/2", and locks into place.

The handle, and the length/width of it, allow me to place my "overnight" bag on top of this case, so going through the airport, with my "carry on" is a breeze.

Also, the wheels; they're not the cheap 1 or 2" wheels you find on most luggage. I hate those!! They get stuck, break, or just fall off, over time and travel.
These wheels are 3" in diameter, 1 1/8" wide, and made of a hard rubber/plastic material, with sealed bearing-makes me think they will hold up for many miles of travel. I tend to "drag" my luggage through whatever I'm walking through-whether it's rain, snow, mud, snow or sand. So, with the bigger wheels, there less chance of getting stuck, and having to carry the case ;)

The case itself-when fully loaded(I only have 3 batteries), weighs in at only 23.6lbs.
It rolls easily, with no tendency to tip or roll over. When you stand it up-it stays put. It has no tendency to fall over, when on it's side or standing up, so it's well balanced.

I will continue my review over the Summer, and into the Winter on this case, and report back from the "field", as I travel. I'll post in my Blog.

Bottom line here is; you can't buy a better made, tougher case, anywhere, for less than $200!! And, it's made in the U.S.A.
I have lots of pictures;
https://photos.google.com/album/AF1QipNKfEcUghsyg8B7BcHo4a2yYoaRQpGSD5fPhfY
As you can see, I even tested the case with the very Dangerous, Serval like, Savannah Cat-Vincent Vega, AKA, Vinny.
He was UN-able to open the case, nor was he able to eat, or even dig his way into it.
So, if you're planning a trip to Africa, those Wild Cats should be no problem for this case.
If you need a case for your P3 for Travel, this is THE case to get. It checks off all the boxes; 1. Carry on. 2. Wheels 3. water-proof 4. carries everything 5. Safe for African Travel ;) 6. inexpensive 7. Fast shipping 8. Durable 9. made in the USA and 10. Dual handles.
:popcorn:

Attachments

• hadZgIR.jpg
    hadZgIR.jpg
    339.7 KB · Views: 375
Last edited:
No. I've only ever owned Pelican Cases before this one. The Pelican was OK, but I disliked the pick and pluck foam. It was hard to get the shape right, and, the foam in this case is much more durable/harder-which makes me think it will hold up better after a lot of use and abuse.
I believe both those case you mentioned are probably similar. What sold me on this one, besides the price, was the 6 layers of custom cut foam, and the fact that it would fit my Ipad Air 2, with smart case on.
Also-the size of the wheels(3"X1 1/8"), makes the rolling resistance of this case non-existent. I tend to pull my rolling luggage wherever I go, and the size of the wheels mattered. I've had them break, lock up, fall off before.....not fun.

Thanks for explaining. I thought you might have also tried the other leading cases since you commented that it's the best on the market. Thank you for sharing your detailed review :)

FYI, your google photos link is broken above.

Sorry about the Google link with the pictures being broken. I'll see if I can fix that.
Best on the market, is Subjective. It does the job, for me. It fits what I need fitted, was less money than some of the other cases, and looked to me like it had the best features-for me.
Let's see if this link works...should be one photo of the interior with my stuff.
https://photos.google.com/share/AF1...?key=OHNXMkdkVlVqYmY4Q014ZU5GVU1MNjBxZzd1V2J3

Let me know if that one works-and I can post some more.

Nice case, I have the MicroRaptor. $200 on Amazon. No complaints, holds the ipad and sun sheild, 4 batteries, charger, extra props, controller and the Phantom stores nicely with props installed, plus it's waterproof sealed. The organization is pretty efficient. The cutouts are specific to the Phantom 3 and it's controller, very nice fit. I didn't want to use this nice of case on an airline since it exheeds most of the limits for overhead, which is 22X9X14 for most airlines, except Southwest. I never want to check my quad, I'm that attached to it....LOL! So I plan to use a backpack solution and remove the props when traveling, it's much lighter for lugging around on travel, and a backpack doesn't look so suspicious or expensive in public. These nice waterproof cases look expensive, which implies they are holding expensive equipment, typically high end camera equipment. They tend to be targets for thieves. Foreign countries are loaded with brazing thieves looking for an easy score with a handle to snatch and run through the crowd. I recommend putting a sticker on the outside of the case that says Custom Shoes For You, or Industrial Ball Bearing Samples. However, if you're in a foreign country they won't be able to read it.

Thanks for the advise, but I don't travel internationally, and Southwest works well for me.
On a side note; I have the Padhat Hoodini. You may notice it's not packed into the case. Why? Well, those shades have very strong magnets in them, that hold them to the Ipad/Mini. I measure the magnetic "radiation", and found that it was pretty strong, when close up. I measure and found that I had to put the shade 3" away from the Ipad that was doing the measuring, before the magnetism decreased to normal background levels. My concern is, that the magnet in the shade if put close enough to the aircraft, may effect the compass on the aircraft. So, it gets carried elsewhere.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31