Totally confused, what do people suggest

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I'm looking for informed opinions and guidance... and if you can help me find God at the same time that would be appreciated :lol:

I've had an AR Drone for a while now and really would like something bigger and better to actually be able to use with my go pro and get more distance and on searching I obviously came across the DJI platforms.

Now I've managed to totally get lost in what exactly I would need to achieve my goals of some basic flight with a gopro and achieve some nice stable video from it.

I already own a gopro black so that doesn't need to be bought, but as for anything else, I'm in need of it, so with this in mind what do I need to be able get air born and be able to see where I'm flying.

Phantom 2 (or is there a preferred alternative or better alternative) - would the phantom 1 do?
Gimbal suitable for the gopro 3 black (does the gopro need its own battery or can it take a feed from the platform for weight saving?)
Screen/goggles to do fpv
fpv video sender? can this take a feed from the gopro or will it involve another camera
transmitter if the platform doesn't come with one

anything else? any specific items to look at?

I'm not afraid of a self build its just knowing what to buy initially.

Any help you guys can offer will be gratefully received. Links to kit etc all welcome, i am in the UK but if its just for descriptions of kit its still welcome all the same.

Many thanks

Hex

For simplicity sake, I'd reccomend a Phantom 2 w/Zenmuse Gimbal (just released) This would get you started with basics. You could add FPV later once comfortable flying in the different modes. Would also give you time to research which FPV is right for what you want to accomplish.

Re: GoPro & battery - the Zenmuse Gimbal which comes on Phantom2 option - GoPro plugs into gimbal and is charged while flying. You do still need to keep GoPro battery on it as it's all part of the balance for gimbal.

Many thanks.

Just been reading through this thread : http://www.phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=19&t=4906

And seen the details on the gimbal.

Without the ability of flying fpv, I'm guessing I would have to line up my shots purely based on facing it (I must admit I would like to be able to do a little more accurate work shall we say than that).

So much reading and so many options... someone pass the eggnog. :)

as you can see from this site there are a lot of flyer's with their own idea's from around the world, the use of site's like e-bay is just one of the site's that a lot of people use along with Hobby King and local model shop's. Here in the UK (as you can see from my address) I personally prefer to use site's in this country, the main reason for this is that if I have problem I can contact them easier, with site's abroad you have to wait a long time. There are about three good one's in the UK, that is not to say I still do not use e-bay for down link set's, and a monitor to view my picture's. The main link that I use for all my DJI part's is Build Your Own Drones.com, myself and quite a few other's here and in Europe use this site, he is a good supplier and quick with his turn-around and can help a lot. The best idea all told is to go on Google and search what site's you want. If you want you can contact me by e-mail, I can give that if required later. You do not say what part of the UK you live. I fly a Phantom with a Go-Pro black3 and a spread wing 550, the reason I like 550 is that it has 6 motor's and less chance of a crash if one motor fail's. The 550 is fitted with a Woo-Kong way point and ground station, Blue tooth receiver to my iPad and lap top, so you can see that there is a lot to look at, but, in the end it can all depend what you want to do and how big the bank balance is. All the best in looking and hope you find what you want. Ian

Based down in Worcester, and totally get what your saying about shipping from home and abroad.

I'd love to be able to get some way to get a drone to do auto tracking (without the need for a laptop) but that's a pipe dream.

I've looked at the larger frames but for ease I would like to keep it a bit smaller for transporting (the end goal will have it been transported up mountains and doing some videoing of skiing and boarding at the snow parks).

Have used hobby king a lot in the past for other models but will look at the build your own drones.com as well thank you.

Its just trying to get used to whats fitted to what and what can be added.
Lots of learning to do. :geek:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl