Total noob moves.

Reaction score
Hello everybody,

While I am new to the quad world, I have a long history with RC. I have been looking at quads for a long time and finally made the purchase a few weeks ago. So far I am really impressed with what I have.

The first day I got my Phantom, I went home and put it together and ran down to the park. No calibration or anything, just charge and fly. I fly okay, but didnt seem to very stable. I took it home and plugged into the assistance software, which made me update the firmware. I did the calibration and went back to the park. This time it did seem like it wanted to take off. The motor idle speed was really low, so take off was a little sketchy. Back home and did the Tx calibration and now it flys great. Even in heavy wind, I think the hover and speed is great for a new pilot like me. Why I didnt do both calibrations out of the box, I will never know. I guess because I thought I had enough experience to get it off the ground.

I have my gopro set at 720 @60, which is the key for me. Not a lot of jello considering I have the stock mount and the H3 silver. I switched to 1080 @30 and had a TON of jello, even with carbon fiber props (not balanced).

Anyway, I just wanted in introduce myself here.

http://youtu.be/pYkMpqnqjew

Dave
aka FlyinFish

Hey Dave. I'm a long time RC'er myself and recently jumped in with a Phantom.

You're braver than me by lifting off that first time without waiting for all the systems to normalize that's for sure.

I realize you probably done a bunch or research on them but just from reading your post I would say you definitely need to balance your props and also address the jello with a soft mount. 30fps doesn't help much with the rolling shutter, go to 60fps. I shoot my GoPro Black in 1080/60 and I get wicked results every time.

The only flicker I get is at certain times of day when the angle of incidence with the Sun is such that it's casting shadows on the lens. But of a bummer but not a deal breaker.

FlyingFish said:
Hello everybody,

While I am new to the quad world, I have a long history with RC. I have been looking at quads for a long time and finally made the purchase a few weeks ago. So far I am really impressed with what I have.

The first day I got my Phantom, I went home and put it together and ran down to the park. No calibration or anything, just charge and fly. I fly okay, but didnt seem to very stable. I took it home and plugged into the assistance software, which made me update the firmware. I did the calibration and went back to the park. This time it did seem like it wanted to take off. The motor idle speed was really low, so take off was a little sketchy. Back home and did the Tx calibration and now it flys great. Even in heavy wind, I think the hover and speed is great for a new pilot like me. Why I didnt do both calibrations out of the box, I will never know. I guess because I thought I had enough experience to get it off the ground.

I have my gopro set at 720 @60, which is the key for me. Not a lot of jello considering I have the stock mount and the H3 silver. I switched to 1080 @30 and had a TON of jello, even with carbon fiber props (not balanced).

Anyway, I just wanted in introduce myself here.

http://youtu.be/pYkMpqnqjew

Dave
aka FlyinFish

How's it going by now?

Going very well. Been flying a few times a week. I bought a prop balancer. Some of my carbon fiber props were way off. Balanced props might have added a little flight time. It also helped the video too. One prop was so far off there was no way sanding was going to take care of it. I got some of that metal tape. It works well. Overall very satisfied with my phantom. Still waiting for a zero wind day. I'm over this 20mph prevailing wind everyday.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31