Topping up batteries before flight?

Reaction score
I went for a flight this afternoon and due to bad weather had to cut the flight short and still have 80% in my battery. Is it acceptable to top up the battery so as to get a full flight time tomorrow? Or should I just leave it and do a flight on the 80% remaining?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I went for a flight this afternoon and due to bad weather had to cut the flight short and still have 80% in my battery. Is it acceptable to top up the battery so as to get a full flight time tomorrow? Or should I just leave it and do a flight on the 80% remaining?

Top it up. Batteries less than full charge have been causing crashes due to low voltage shutdown. Better safe than sorry!

Top it off by all means. Always start any flight with full battery unless you are doing a sort hop or finishing a flight and running the battery down purposely.

If you were flying and it registered 80% and you flew right away you'd probably be fine. If it was reading 80% while flying and you waited a day you'd probably be fine as well. But if you have the opportunity you should always charge between flights. That is, if you fly and land at 80% and want to take off again this is fine. Waiting a day after landing after 80%... probably okay but not the safest think to do.

Ok cool, so it doesn't damage the batteries by topping them off? Some batteries can be damaged of you do not cycle them properly and run the charge down

Ok cool, so it doesn't damage the batteries by topping them off? Some batteries can be damaged of you do not cycle them properly and run the charge down

Lipo batteries can be damaged by storing them with a full charge but you mentioned flying the following day. When storing batteries it's best to store them at 50% - 60% charge. Batteries will automatically discharged if not touched after 10 days at maximum (there is a setting in the app to change this to a lower number).

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20