TOOK THE PLUNGE

Reaction score
I just got home from picking up from DroneFly a brand new Phantom 2Vision. They received a new shipment with all mods today and I got the first one. Wish me luck. I will put it together tomorrow and test fly it. The guys at DroneFly were great.

All the mods? BTW congrats it is super fun to fly. Deceptively easy. God luck have fun.

J

rmklaw said:
I just got home from picking up from DroneFly a brand new Phantom 2Vision. They received a new shipment with all mods today and I got the first one. Wish me luck. I will put it together tomorrow and test fly it. The guys at DroneFly were great.

Congrats!

Mods? Did they mean all the latest firmware or actual hardware fixes? (And for what)

Thank you. Yes, by mods, I meant the latest firmware fixes. I had not checked the version yet. I plan to work on it today, but first watch all videos and reading the manual.

I read somewhere here that the transmitters were starting to come through with the micro-USB accessible from the outside. Is yours that way? I have to open the case to update mine.
When I first saw the title of this thread I thought another guy crashed into the water.

MikeON said:
I read somewhere here that the transmitters were starting to come through with the micro-USB accessible from the outside. Is yours that way? I have to open the case to update mine.

Makes sense so they can share parts with DT7.
Probably has gotten some returns too due to Tx antenna cutoff from people not being careful enough when opening up their Tx...

DT7_DR16_01.jpg

DT7_DR16_06.jpg

Mine had just arrived from DJI with the new shipment yesterday. However, the remote did not have the external USB. DroneFly checked the shipment and none had external USB. I checked the versions of all components and the remote, and it came with the latest firmware in all components including camera.

I have a complaint, thou. Today was my first flight and I am already suffering from withdrawal. Where is all the excitement of crashing helicopters, breaking blades, replacing rotor heads and having to fiddle with the collective control constantly? :mrgreen: This thing just hangs in the air and does not move. I can put down the controller and have a drink and it keeps on flying. Simply amazing. :)

It's cool to see someone else as enthused as I was (am). The newness. It is an awesome piece of kit. I just started buying my accessories form Dronefly. I hear nothing but GOOD things about them. Top notch customer service. They seem to keep their customers..and potential customers very up to date.

have fun...

James

I took the plunge too, Had to order mine off the internet, West Texas doesn't have to many modern devices. Then I came across this forum. Now I'm really scared I've not spent this much money on a hobby before (yes this will be my first RC flying device) I want it for a Camera platform. But with all the different problems everyone is having (invalid battery, losing signal or video at only 50 feet firm ware updates that dont take ect...) I'm wondering if I should just refuse the shipment when it finally shows up. Yeah DJI didn't send out my phantom UPS somehow didn't pick it up so i got a canceled order message from UPS when i contacted them today they admitted they made a mistake and sent it out today (it was suppose to be here yesterday) Now we have a big ice storm attacking the area and UPS is not delivering to Texas. Makes me wonder is somebody trying to tell me something? I realize most people come on these forums to ask questions about problems they are having but the sheer number of people having problems makes me wonder. I'm hoping after my first flight I will be "What the heck was i worried about?" But if i do run into problems I'm sure I'll be back asking for help.

I'll have to throw an "Ain't it great!" in here with everyone else. After a couple dozen flights I still can't stop grinin' every time I fly this thing and see its realtime FPV video. The 1080 30p video looks great on a big plasma and the 14 megapixel jpg's are gorgeous on a computer screen straight out of the camera.

@GadgetGardner fear not... Most of the "invalid battery" thread was posted as us early adopters started experiencing the problem, way before any of us knew anything about what was causing it. Once DJI acknowledged it and posted a firmware update to patch around it, it's pretty much become a non-issue so long as you update your firmware. If after upgrade anyone experiences the "lost battery data" warning, they should check the two gold comm pins in their PV's battery compartment to make sure they're both sticking out and spring-loaded. If not, perhaps contact the dealer while warranty is still in effect. Some have reported one pin hanging-up short of the other pin, remedied by a squirt of light lubricant to keep the spring from hanging-up inside its tube. Some have suggested removing or releasing the battery to keep from compressing the springs during non-use.

As for "fly-aways" DJI has acknowledged the possibility of them under certain conditions and has offered a few tips on how to prevent that from happening (by how to operate your sticks), as well as how to recover aircraft & control should this happen to you. This was explained in a video interview with DJI's Colin Guinn. "Fly-always" are still under discussion on this board, although I think reports of them have quieted down recently.

I tried to put all this info in one place, here's a link if you're interested:

Upgrade your firmware B4 you fly your new Phantom Vision!
http://phantompilots.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4394

iDrone

rmklaw said:
Mine had just arrived from DJI with the new shipment yesterday. However, the remote did not have the external USB. DroneFly checked the shipment and none had external USB. I checked the versions of all components and the remote, and it came with the latest firmware in all components including camera.

I have a complaint, thou. Today was my first flight and I am already suffering from withdrawal. Where is all the excitement of crashing helicopters, breaking blades, replacing rotor heads and having to fiddle with the collective control constantly? :mrgreen: This thing just hangs in the air and does not move. I can put down the controller and have a drink and it keeps on flying. Simply amazing. :)

hah!
don't worry, stuff will happen, ..but be careful, drunk-droning can be dangerous! :mrgreen:

If you bought it directly from DJI, you will be getting the latest software. Read the manual, watch the videos, and do the minimum set up with compass calibration, and the bird will fly beautiful right out of the box.

GadjetGardener said:
I took the plunge too, Had to order mine off the internet, West Texas doesn't have to many modern devices. Then I came across this forum. Now I'm really scared I've not spent this much money on a hobby before (yes this will be my first RC flying device) I want it for a Camera platform. But with all the different problems everyone is having (invalid battery, losing signal or video at only 50 feet firm ware updates that dont take ect...) I'm wondering if I should just refuse the shipment when it finally shows up. Yeah DJI didn't send out my phantom UPS somehow didn't pick it up so i got a canceled order message from UPS when i contacted them today they admitted they made a mistake and sent it out today (it was suppose to be here yesterday) Now we have a big ice storm attacking the area and UPS is not delivering to Texas. Makes me wonder is somebody trying to tell me something? I realize most people come on these forums to ask questions about problems they are having but the sheer number of people having problems makes me wonder. I'm hoping after my first flight I will be "What the heck was i worried about?" But if i do run into problems I'm sure I'll be back asking for help.

I too was a little concerned when ordering my Phantom 2 Vision, but I've been really wanting one since I first heard of it. And when the Black Friday sales popped up I took the plunge to save myself $70. And at this point it's been a month since it came out so a couple of firmware updates came out by the time I used mine. I was hoping I would have gotten an already updated unit but I had to do all of the firmware updates on both the Phantom 2 Vision and Controller which is a bit fiddly to take apart and reassemble. They really had no business releasing the controller with an internal USB connection when they know regular upgrades will need to be made to the unit.

With all of that said, my concerns, my excitement, etc I got my new phantom. Thoroughly went through any reading material I could as well as DJI's instructional videos before my first flight and I must say it went off with out a hitch. My initial compass calibration was more of a spin than a "dance" as some call it. Very simple to do, I recommend watching Collins video on it. And the bird flew absolutely flawlessly on it's maiden flight. 4 flights in and I've so far had flawless flights and excellent range (knock on wood).

Best of luck with yours, you'll have great fun. Just be sure the first time you fly is in an open area or park with little interference for your first compass calibration and to allow you room to maneuver.

I did a few flights this weekend and went great. I also did a few RTH and the bird landed within 6 inches from takeoff spot with transmitter off.

rmklaw said:
I did a few flights this weekend and went great. I also did a few RTH and the bird landed within 6 inches from takeoff spot with transmitter off.

Sweet I also did RTH test on maiden flight but regained control with transmitted by switching the left switch to the center position just before it landed.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20