Too scared to try!

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been given the answer to a question but I need it confirming.
I have a hexacopter using the DJI flight controller with a Frsky Taranis transmitter.

The question I need answering is;
If the hexacopter is in flight and I pull the throttle fully back to bring the copter down, will the motors stop as they do when the copter is on the ground? I haven't the bottle to try it as it would kill me seeing it fall from the sky. I would like to use this feature in case I need to bring it down at speed. I have been told the motors WON'T cut out as the copter knows it's still in the air. Is this true?

Over to you wise heads...

Thanks
Phil

Hey Phil :) Connect your NAZA to the Assistant software on your PC, and make sure the Cut Off Type (Advanced section -> Motor tab) is set to "Intelligent" and you'll be fine...that prevents the motors from shutting off due to putting the throttle all the way down. Just remember that the normal CSC procedure WILL still shut them off while flying regardless of the Cut Off Type setting.

Weephilllie avoid all the down corner combos. Both sticks down to middle, both sticks down and out. Both down to left and both sticks down to right. All of them start and kill motors in NASA mode.

Holding the throttle stick fully down for 3s will only stop the motors if the flight controller detects that the aircraft is stationary. Ie, it only works when you've landed.

As I just found out while reading the NAZA manual, not even the Intelligent motor cutoff will prevent a problem when you hold the throttle too low while in flight. It goes into the landing procedure, and the only control that works is the throttle. I suspect that the throttle action is reduced like when it lands with a low battery, but the manual wasn't clear on that.

Attachments

• motors.JPG
    motors.JPG
    242.8 KB · Views: 685
Never experienced that even with full throttle down for 9 seconds. I know this because of this being said throughout forum. (So I tested it out)

This question is asked several times a month.
Simple answer is, the craft motors will operate until it detects it has reached ground.

Damon said:
Weephilllie avoid all the down corner combos. Both sticks down to middle, both sticks down and out. Both down to left and both sticks down to right. All of them start and kill motors in NASA mode.

It has a NASA mode now? I wonder how zero gravity affects flight characteristics? :lol:

Suwaneeguy said:
This question is asked several times a month.
Simple answer is, the craft motors will operate until it detects it has reached ground.
Naza, must have been a Freudian Slip...or that dreaded spell check of my android phone ;)
Phantom_Menace66 said:
Damon said:

It has a NASA mode now? I wonder how zero gravity affects flight characteristics? :lol:

I tested what I posted this morning. ZERO throttle for 6 seconds, no change in behavior once I applied throttle. No "Landing mode". I wonder if it was a misprint, it was changed, or if different versions of NAZA are different.

I still wonder if "Immediate" mode is default.

I want to know whether the Phantom will right itself after it's been turned off for a few seconds in mid flight and how long it might take.

BaldEagle said:
I want to know whether the Phantom will right itself after it's been turned off for a few seconds in mid flight and how long it might take.

You also might like to look into what velocity the Phantom would accelerate to without power and how long it would take for it to recover. You could start your research with the Falls From Sky 6000 Ft idiot from Youtube but his instrument readout is 3 minutes or so out of synch with the video. You would definitely want a lot of sky under you to try this.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1