Too much of a compromise, for now?

Reaction score
Having put up with the low light screen issues of the P3P using an ipad pro in bright light at least I know what to expect. Or better put, how to temper my expectations in terms of what I can see on the screen.

I'd like to upgrade one of my 3's to a 4 and I've been investigating the pros and cons of 4 vs 4pro. Right now it seems the 5.5 inch screen, while plenty bright, is a compromise when trying to view on screen data and the date not being fully customizable and or fitting the screen. Seems this could be a real issue for precise flying and photography. On the other hand it may be harder to see this data on the 4 with the ipad pro but at least the data will be there and mostly viewable.

So wondering if anyone would like to add points pro and con of the 4 vs 4pro. Is anyone using the current ios app and how's that performing?

Sure would like to pick one up before the holidays and since I use it commercially there's the extra incentive for a 2016 tax write off. Not enough of an incentive to buy a craft that will be more compromise than utilized...or just more of the same in terms of the ipad pro screen.

thanks for your advise.

Andrew

Why would you pay $300 for brightness and be limited to a phone size screen that would potentially take rooting to install anything but factory apps?

Not me. I'll wait to see what the 8" version costs, or keep using my iPad. Likely the latter.

I ran the iPad Pro 9.7 and liked it but nothing compares to the Avegant Glyph I'm running now. The Glyph's take it to a whole new level that will be hard for another vendor to match in brightness, resolution or functionality that fits perfect for Drone users.

Check out my full review for details and the answer is no, I have no affiliation with Avegant, just a customer.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I ran the iPad Pro 9.7 and liked it but nothing compares to the Avegant Glyph I'm running now. The Glyph's take it to a whole new level that will be hard for another vendor to match in brightness, resolution or functionality that fits perfect for Drone users.

Check out my full review for details and the answer is no, I have no affiliation with Avegant, just a customer.

My understanding is that the use of a product like the Avegant Glyph is not legal for commercial use of an sUAV as per the current FAA regulations.

I have a P4 and love it, if I was to upgrade from a 3 to a 4 I would spend the extra on a P4P just for the camera. The 5.5 screen would be too small for me and you are locked in to a system that if the tablet fails you are grounded, I don't have enough proof that these included tablets are dependable yet. Maybe the 8 inch crystal screen will be an option on my next craft a P5 or even Inspire 2 but I will wait to see how our fellow pilots rate them.

Another Glyph post :) I like it. Are you running the Glyphs using the HDMI module? What bird? Or are you running it from a HDMI output from a tablet like the Nvidia Shield?

The Glyph complies with FAA regulations via line of sight. I can see below and above my Glyph's. Flying a drone via my iPad Pro 9.7 verses my Glyph's is like driving a car without mirrors and looking over my shoulder and out the window every time I make a lane change.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

I'm running the Glyph's on a P4 using the HDMI output from DJI 's Part 54. I did a full review on the Glyph's on this site via being the author.

My understanding is that the use of a product like the Avegant Glyph is not legal for commercial use of an sUAV as per the current FAA regulations.
What if you have a spotter? Perhaps he can see around the edges? Anyway I don't recall anything in the thread title asking about FAA regs.

What if you have a spotter? Perhaps he can see around the edges? Anyway I don't recall anything in the thread title asking about FAA regs.
Yes, you have to have LOS to be legal. A spotter will work.

I'm running the Glyph's on a P4 using the HDMI output from DJI 's Part 54. I did a full review on the Glyph's on this site via being the author.

Got it.. I use the Glyph with my P3P w/HDMI module and it works great... Unfortunately not the case with the P4P. I installed a new HDMI module on my P4P this morning and it does not work. It does not connect to the P4P. There are at least 2 threads on the subject. Unfortunate.

That was my point re spotter with the additional consideration that the FPV setup may also allow for the operator to see the AC directly.
You can actually see around the Glyph somewhat, but I'm not sure if it would meet the legal test.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.