Too much heat?

Reaction score
I just installed FPV with Immersion 600 mW. Everything seems to work fine, however the vtx gets pretty hot. Should I be concerned, or is this normal?

jgrissom91 said:
I just installed FPV with Immersion 600 mW. Everything seems to work fine, however the vtx gets pretty hot. Should I be concerned, or is this normal?

It will get warm during normal operation, that metal shell is designed to help vent heat off of the amp underneath. Just be sure to ALWAYS have the antenna on when you power it up...without the ability to radiate power from it the Tx can overheat.

I have the same vTx unit. It does get pretty hot. I originally was going to mount it up with the board and electronics but after realising how hot it gets I've rethought my whole set up. The vTx is now on its own as far from anything as I can get (it's now where the stock battery would go and I have dual battery external mounts).

Depending what transmitter you're running, a tip. If you've upgraded your transmitter to dx8 or equivalent with telemetry etc. I've got to battery temp sensor from the dx8 telemetry running to the vTx instead. It's a nice way to monitor just how hot the vTx is getting from the ground while your flying.

jmack_89 said:
Depending what transmitter you're running, a tip. If you've upgraded your transmitter to dx8 or equivalent with telemetry etc. I've got to battery temp sensor from the dx8 telemetry running to the vTx instead. It's a nice way to monitor just how hot the vTx is getting from the ground while your flying.

Good idea, I think I may add a temp sensor to my frsky telemetry to keep an eye on that.

OI Photography said:
jmack_89 said:

Good idea, I think I may add a temp sensor to my frsky telemetry to keep an eye on that.

i figured it would easily be the hottest component of my rig. batteries wouldnt get as hot as it does.
Just wish i could find the safe working temp/average working temp of the vTX so i can set an alarm incase it does start geting up to damaging temps/so i know its in standard working temp. Cant find any temp specs anywhere.

jmack_89 said:
i figured it would easily be the hottest component of my rig. batteries wouldnt get as hot as it does.
Just wish i could find the safe working temp/average working temp of the vTX so i can set an alarm incase it does start geting up to damaging temps/so i know its in standard working temp. Cant find any temp specs anywhere.

If/when you do get some measurements (even just testing on the bench for reference) be sure to post them here and I'll do the same for the sake of comparison.

I think I'll also test to see what difference various antennae make on the heat levels (if any).

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik