Too cold?

Reaction score
It's 23 Fahrenheit, I wanna take so shots of the neighborhood covered in snow, too cold?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As soon as I took off I got an error message saying that the battery was too cold and that my motors were overloading.. so I just went straight up took a couple of shots and landed..DJI_0533.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i just flew around a pier with a ferris wheel in chicago it was about 10 degrees Fahrenheit. no issues - although i did notice battery drained a lot faster. i would say that i went from 18 minutes on a normal day to about 10 minutes today. that being said, i am also very conservative and returned with about 40% battery left.

As soon as I took off I got an error message saying that the battery was too cold and that my motors were overloading.. so I just went straight up took a couple of shots and landed..DJI_0533.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had my batteries close to the baseboard heat at home then put them on the passenger's side floor where the heat blows out to keep them warm when I was on the way to locations. I experienced the cold battery message once. That's when everything was in the drone all day. I believe it said the battery was below 59 degrees and the motors were overloading.

Reactions: mdowney58
Keep your batteries warm and your phantom cold. I fly in the teens with no problem--a lot. I put a warm battery in before takeoff. if batteries are warm when you take off they'll stay warm while discharging during flight.

Usually leave the Phantom in the truck if I am going to fly it cold. This tends to keep the lens and electronics from getting condensation from the temperature transition. I keep the batteries warm in my inside coat pocket until ready to fly. I usually let the bird hover for a couple minutes before sending it on it's way.

I have flown as low as 10F... All I see is a little bit less flight time, but everything seems to run fine. I do tend to bring it home around 40% or so. Lithium batteries can decay pretty quickly in cold weather, so I am not inclined to push the flight time...

I have flown my P4 down to -4F and found that as long as I have tablet battery fully charged and both tablet and flight battery warm before flying there is no issue. I strongly recommend not flying in sport mode at sub zero temps to reduce stress on the airframe.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj