Toliet Bowl

Reaction score
Im having problems with my Phantom 3 standard

It does not hover in place properly Ive done the IMU calibration and the compass is there anything else I can do to keep it steady

Thanks

On Average I get around 20

When I flew it today it would hover for a little and then start to move up and down a little

Am I the only one curious about the title of the thread and how it relates to the Phantom....?

I'm pretty sure TB effect is caused by compass issues, is it not?

I'm pretty sure TB effect is caused by compass issues, is it not?
Yes. The OP said it's moving up and down though. That's not TBE.

Arapps, are you using stock DJI props? Is everything else stock? Was this always an issue, or did it happen after crashing, installing new firmware, etc.?

Reactions: RodPad
The standard relies on barometer and GPS ... it has no VOS.

GPS is not continuously accurate but position wanders about in an area that covers on average 3 or more metres diameter.
Because of averaging of positional calculation - the item controlled by GPS can in fact wander.

The model references to a position at initial moment of hovering. As the position wanders - it will try correct back to that first position. But of course the iterations are made in rapid succession and before model flies back to position - next calculation is there and can be different negating the correction etc. As I said - position can vary around an area - in any direction.

If anyone has access to a yacht GPS plotter - leave it on for an hour or so without moving the yacht or GPS unit and look at the resulting plot. You will then understand my point.

People go on about number of satellites thinking the more they have ' the more accurate the position. Wrong.
What more satellites gives in fact is redundancy and ability to discount rogue iterations. Many GPS units actually calculate based on a limited number of SATs ... which can be as low as 3 or 4 in older units or as many as 9 or 10 in later.
The increased number of SATs gives more capability to choose or discount SATs.

It always creates a stir when I pass on info that GPS SATs are monitored and correctional info sent by ground stations to them. That at any one time you can have 2 .... 3 or more SATs actually out of service or giving false data till ground station locks them out.

Toilet bowl effect is a carry over from helicopters and usually observed to be a moderately quick circulating motion of the model round a point. I would be surprised to see a multi-rotor exhibit at similar speed ... it would usually be a more swaying motion and slower. (I fly both types).

Nigel

Last edited:
Reactions: RW-1
On Average I get around 20

When I flew it today it would hover for a little and then start to move up and down a little
20 SAT's on a Standard ??

Reactions: dirkclod
Arapps, are you using stock DJI props? Is everything else stock? Was this always an issue, or did it happen after crashing, installing new firmware, etc.?
Seemed like a problem when i first got it. It crashed once and then I did the IMU

I think I'm going to try to change the propellers because the ones i had on were still the one from the crash

Sorry,
I read this thread the other day, and the subject still draws me in.

Toilet seat as part of a flying obstacle coarse?

Oh well, this is still funny.

redneckhs.jpg

Rod

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers