Today's scare

Reaction score
I decided to put on my prop guards for flying in my yard , lots of trees. Everything was fine. Only flew about 20' high just cruising up and down the street slow , was a little breezy. All of a sudden it started oscillating back and forth and jumping around. I switched to atti then back and got control but it still seemed shakey. I landed right away.
I pulled off the guards ( quick disconnects) and flew in another spot in my yard.
Yes I know about vrs , but I was hardly moving almost hovering, so I don't really know what it was. But I almost lost it. Prop guards did save me when I hit some leaves.

Dump the prop guards - they are crap and will crash your bird. My 13 YO Daughter was flying her P2V+ with prop guards - bird was stationary and then all of a sudden the bird started oscillating and dropping like a brick. Hit pretty hard but survived - my daughter was giving NO control stick input. Took of the guards and never a problem again.

The prop guards are junk. Get rid of them.

Search the forum - you will see this many times.

Look I'm not a newby, I stuck them on in my yard. I usually never use them. But I was basically hovering not really moving. I just did the new firmware update, I have not idea what happened,I really don't think the guards had anything to do with it. I had just flown two packs with them.
But I'll leave them off. Maybe your right.

thats the problem right there...
when vortex ring state does happen is on a hovering state, not while your moving.
that and the prop gards ;)

keep the prop guards they saved me again today

I don't get it. , I've used at times on my p1 and vision when my grandaughter was around and never had a problem.
Seems funny after I just did the update.
And yes everything was calibrated.

I read somewere that you cant make that coonparison because the design between the props from the p1 and the p2 are different, the p1s give more stability as they create more lift (also eating up more battery)... anyway its easier to get vrs in a p2 rather than in a p1, again ive read this somewere, think a thread in rc groups... :?

Mori55 said:
Look I'm not a newby, I stuck them on in my yard. I usually never use them. But I was basically hovering not really moving. I just did the new firmware update, I have not idea what happened,I really don't think the guards had anything to do with it. I had just flown two packs with them.

He is right.
VRS happens when hovering and no wind conditions.

Well I guess I am a believer now.

Tonight I pulled off my prop guards having never flown without them. (50+ flights) I had had two incidents of unstable descents including a similar situation as listed above losing complete control during descent and flipping the bird. (at about 12' off the ground coming down from 350')

Since then I have been nervous about descents and using slow circular patterns when possible. Tonight when I came straight back down from 300' without the prop guards in 7 mph winds it was rock solid. I know this is not a conclusive test but I could "feel" the difference while descending.

Thanks for all smart replies!

Mori55 said:
I thought it was if you came down to fast ? Well thanks , I'm not using them again.

Thats with no guard on it. With them hovering is included because of the disturbance of lift and the airflow.
If you could put your bird in a special room that can provide smoke that makes the airflow visible then it will be clear enough what disturbance the guards make in the airflow from the propellers. Actually thats a good idea, does someone have that capability and make a video about it ?

Mori55 said:

I think your story is complete BS (As you told me recently)... I think you're making it up to draw attention to yourself... :lol:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic