To those that have dyed their shells

Reaction score
I have a brand new shell sitting here for my P3A, and I want to black it out. Better visibility in the day, and stealth mode at night.

I'll rattle-can it if I have to, but I would much rather dye it. My concern is that, from what I have read, the only dye that will take is foul smelling, and the job is best done outdoors. This tells me that there is some sort of solvent involved, and given how thin and prone to cracking these things already are, I'm more than a little concerned about softening/weakening it.

Just looking for feedback from anyone that's done it, and of course any advice you can give.

I have done my shell on my P2 a couple years ago, still going strong. Poly-dye, it stinks bad (get it next to the regular clothes dye). Not so much a solvent smell (its designed for plastic) but more of a chemical smell. Hard to explain, you'll know it when you smell it. :D

Plan to leave it in for a long time to get it to permeate it. I used a big tub to put it in, it's bigger than it looks!

Honestly, I buy skins for them these days. It is so much easier. :)

You seem to live in a hot climate. I'd think twice before dying it black. It will get scorching hot in the sun, and that may well affect the plastic. OTOH, if it blocks UV, for all I know it might be a good thing for the shell, but Id still pick another color.

You seem to live in a hot climate. I'd think twice before dying it black. It will get scorching hot in the sun, and that may well affect the plastic. OTOH, if it blocks UV, for all I know it might be a good thing for the shell, but Id still pick another color.

It's only hot half the year here, and I have the plain white 3P for most flying, and those hot days.

I want to add zero weight.

Hydrodip is extremely thin. You'd need a pretty expensive scale for it to register the difference. Most consumer scales have a higher envelope of error than the hydrodip would add.

(I know it's not "envelope of error", can't remember the dang term)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4