to owners of cases - question about tightness of packing

Reaction score
I've just purchased this case:

http://www.actioncam24.de/Koffer-Case-D ... adrokopter

btw - a nice shop with a helpful staff for anyone around Berlin - can happily recommend them ;)

After trying to fit the Vision inside it turned out I had to cut openings for the landing gear through the bottom piece of foam (about 2cm high) nonetheless when closing the lid one has to exert a bit of force to get the top foam to fold for the top of the Vision body and the engines.

My question therefore is... could it possibly damage the engines in some way I cannot imagine? Bend the arms? If anyone has some experience with this I'd love to here your comment. I do realize it's best if the Vision and equipment is tucked away tightly - but can it be too tight?

Cheers!

I dont have that case but I do find the layer of foam in the lid presses the quad firmly when I shut the case. Its not done any harm to mine but I dont leave my props fitted. If you do then pressure on the props would be bad.

Don't like the sound of having to force the lid forcibly down on top of the motors !! That case doesn't look to have much room either and its surprising what you may want to take in it if the bug well and truly bites !! I have spare batteries, props, mobile power supply, tx, tx batteries, small tool box, 7" tablet, and other little cubby holes for stuff.

Its a lot of money for a P2V and not worth skimping on the case in my opinion. A decent case will help you look after your P2V.

:D

Mmmm didint see the link to the photos. That case looks almost identical to mine. I did cut the foam all the way through the lowest layer for the area for the legs and gopro. I then shaved a thin slice off the cut out and put that back in. I am really happy with the way mine shuts.

Thanks for the answers. I was just wandering whether it might cause any damage - logically is should not since the foam is quite soft and the bit of force applied to close it actually should provide a nice tight fit for the stuff not to fly around...

I've attached a few pictures to show how it all looks like, where I plucked some foam from the top to fit the controller and the Phantom body and also the bit of space that stays there before applying pressure to close the case.

Penny for your thoughts ;-)

Attachments

• 20140321_143113.jpg
    20140321_143113.jpg
    248.2 KB · Views: 459
  • 20140321_143132.jpg
    20140321_143132.jpg
    312 KB · Views: 473
  • 20140321_143143.jpg
    20140321_143143.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 420
My case has 4 layers of foam. I didnt remove any from the lid, I didn't use the pluck foam at all. I did cut out foam from both the lower levels so I think all my kit sits lower in the base than yours.

Shrimpfarmer said:
My case has 4 layers of foam. I didnt remove any from the lid, I didn't use the pluck foam at all. I did cut out foam from both the lower levels so I think all my kit sits lower in the base than yours.

Ok, thanks for that info. For the moment I'll just leave it like it is and hope for the best when flying - once this **** wind dies down a bit... ;)

Cheers!

rnrnrn said:

btw - a nice shop with a helpful staff for anyone around Berlin - can happily recommend them ;)

After trying to fit the Vision inside it turned out I had to cut openings for the landing gear through the bottom piece of foam (about 2cm high) nonetheless when closing the lid one has to exert a bit of force to get the top foam to fold for the top of the Vision body and the engines.

My question therefore is... could it possibly damage the engines in some way I cannot imagine? Bend the arms? If anyone has some experience with this I'd love to here your comment. I do realize it's best if the Vision and equipment is tucked away tightly - but can it be too tight?

Cheers!

You can remove the props if its a tight fit...the top of the crown nuts of the props is about a half inch higher than the top of the phantom/vision craft...a half inch might do the trick. I have the go pro case and it also has some slight resistance the last half inch of closing. Taking the props off is purely precautionary but it does make a slight difference when fully closed and latched.

RCRookie said:
rnrnrn said:

Cheers!

You can remove the props if its a tight fit...the top of the crown nuts of the props is about a half inch higher than the top of the phantom/vision craft...a half inch might do the trick. I have the go pro case and it also has some slight resistance the last half inch of closing. Taking the props off is purely precautionary but it does make a slight difference when fully closed and latched.

Yes I did that - didn't even try to close with the props on - I cut out the foam to accommodate the Vision without them. I don't see it as a problem to attach them every time I go flying and I do believe it's better for them to have them stowed away separately without any possibility of damage.

I presume nothing bad happened to your Phantom while closing the lid with half an inch of resistance?

I think I've got the same case as OP and I've removed part of the foam in the lid so that it wouldn't push down on the props. It's a tight fit when closing the lid, but everything appears to be ok and the props don't seem to be touching anything.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj