To GoPro or not GoPro..that is the question

Reaction score
Even though I spent 20 years flying on the KC-10, I've never flown RCs :lol:

I'm thinking about the DJI Phantom 2 Vision , there are some good used ones on eBay. I use my Canon SLR camera for regular photography and I've been going back and forth on the Vision 2 or get a non-vision Phantom and mount a GoPro. I want to get one before I go to Kaui for a week :)

I'll never use the GoPro, if I got one, for anything but aerial photography. I've watched side by side comparison videos of the Vision 2 HD vs GoPro 3 and they both look nice. It does seem like the Vision 2 camera has more color saturation. I have no plans of being a professional aerial photographer but I do have some experience with Final Cut Pro to help clean up video.

I'd like input from the drone experts out there that have gotten to work with both the GoPro vs Vision 2 . The various articles and YouTube reviews give me the impression the Vision is a good deal right out of the box.

If you search the logs, this has been addressed here and there, but this is my 2 cents.

I have a couple hero 3's, and using them on a couple adventures is really what prompted me to get the Vision. I'm by no means a professional, and still just learning, but I'm using FCPX with add-ons, etc. (on a mac)

GoPro vs. Vision = GoPro is hands down better video.

I've flown with both cameras on a vision as well as separately with a home-spun mount I made for a gopro. Side-by-side the video is much better on the GoPro. Splicing the video together for fun youtube videos puts out an ok product, but the eye-popping HD on a retina screen that you get from a Hero just isn't in the vision footage.

If you're wanting the out-of-the-box first person vision flight experience that will amaze all your friends, get a vision. Just know that the video quality isn't what you're used to in a GoPro. BTW - The files that the vision puts out are less than half the size of the go pro...there's a reason for that.

Check out this video made with both Vision and GoPro.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gT0Gc6PRBLY

...also, leave me any comments on the video editing, etc...trying to get better!

That is a nice video. It would have been costly to you..but I was hoping the birds would have made a dash for the drone, lol. There is a funny video out that a guy made when some horses he spooked found his drone after he lost sight of it and told it to land. The problem is it landed in the same area about a mile away where the horses ran after being spooked.

I'll search the forums for some GoPro threads.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj