to fly 2.75 mi over and then back, what can I turn off to save battery

Reaction score
Using equipment in sig

Would be fun to fly 2.75 mi over water to the next island and then 2.75 back.

Can I do that?

Anything I can turn off to save battery life?

I have managed just over 12 klms with my boosted P4 set up but that was on a very calm day over the ocean and landed at 30%. Turn off OA, smart RTH and keep your speed at 50 kph and build your confidence before taking it out for the island sight seeing.
Wind is a killer, so keep it as low as you can to reduce your battery usage coming down from an unnecessary height if you are getting low on battery. Don't rely on your battery% and include your battery voltage at the top of the app.

thanks
will do as you say and try it in stages

Very informative video CM65. Thanks for posting it.

Yeah, he's kind of nuts but at the same time he does do some pretty interesting things with his drones. Check out his video where he successfully flies his drone 8 km from a mountain top to his vacation home.

Ok, will wait for more experience. But my proposed flight seems lots easier.
DJI_0019.jpg

For 2.7 miles you can leave all on as it can do that with power to spare in low wind conditions. Make sure your battery is fully charged, take off and start moving towards the island and slowly gain altitude, you don't have to go very high in your case (50 feet from take off). Maintain 30 mph as this is the best speed for distance vs power usage. You could turn off VPS an OA if you wish but in this case you won't need to. Fly out on a day against the wind (low wind) as the wind will help you on the way back, against a slow wind your maximum turn around point should be at 60% battery in any case to ensure a safe return. You probably won't even be at 60% in 2.7 Have fun.

Last edited:
Got it. Thanks. If I start at the beach have no trees, structures to go over. But might do in stages to get comfortable, get experienced up.

Your confidence in your bird as in you will build in time, also make sure you fully understand all the settings in GO. Taykatimemaykanice!

For 2.7 miles you can leave all on as it can do that with power to spare in low wind conditions. Make sure your battery is fully charged, take off and start moving towards the island and slowly gain altitude, you don't have to go very high in your case (50 feet from take off). Maintain 30 mph as this is the best speed for distance vs power usage. You could turn off VPS an OA if you wish but in this case you won't need to. Fly out on a day against the wind (low wind) as the wind will help you on the way back, against a slow wind your maximum turn around point should be at 60% battery in any case to ensure a safe return. You probably won't even be at 60% in 2.7 Have fun.
Not sure about other users but OA left on wont enable me to maintain a steady 50 kph in P mode and the smart RTH starts crying at me at anything past 4500 mtrs. I turn them both off as my flight path, like the OP is open and unobstructed.

Not sure about other users but OA left on wont enable me to maintain a steady 50 kph in P mode and the smart RTH starts crying at me at anything past 4500 mtrs. I turn them both off as my flight path, like the OP is open and unobstructed.
Exactly right - if there's nothing to hit, switch off obstacle avoidance and you get more speed and speed = distance.

My P4 won't hit 30 in P mode, I'm pretty much in S all the time except for takeoffs and landings, I rarely fly close to stuff, but when I do I switch in P and smart RTH is off and I watch my power and time like a hawk. Engravosaurus, you may want to leave smart RTH on as a safety measure, it took me quite a few hours behind the sticks to relax enough to keep tabs on all the telemetry, now it's just fun. At first it was information overload.

Last edited:
Reactions: Tommy J 111
My P4 won't hit 30 in P mode, I'm pretty much in S all the time except for takeoffs and landings, I rarely fly close to stuff, but when I do I switch in P.
Mine won't with OA on and I rarely use it unless I'm playing amongst the trees. Maybe try switching it off and see what difference it makes. In S mode the OA is disabled as travelling at 70-80 kph towards the trees, there is no time for the sensors to react and it is always going to end badly.

Mine won't with OA on and I rarely use it unless I'm playing amongst the trees. Maybe try switching it off and see what difference it makes. In S mode the OA is disabled as travelling at 70-80 kph towards the trees, there is no time for the sensors to react and it is always going to end badly.
Where I live and fly the forest is so dense there is not much flying between the trees, I have to be over them 98% of the time so I'm often around 200 feet AGL. I agree, when your close to stuff and moving at speeds things can happen very fast.

Yeah, he's kind of nuts but at the same time he does do some pretty interesting things with his drones. Check out his video where he successfully flies his drone 8 km from a mountain top to his vacation home.

That video was funny. What is his page? I'd like to see more. The only thing I disagree with is when he said the flight was unsuccessful. In my opinion, any flight that ends with the bird safely at your feet is a good one. :)

My P4 won't hit 30 in P mode, I'm pretty much in S all the time except for takeoffs and landings, I rarely fly close to stuff, but when I do I switch in P and smart RTH is off and I watch my power and time like a hawk. Engravosaurus, you may want to leave smart RTH on as a safety measure, it took me quite a few hours behind the sticks to relax enough to keep tabs on all the telemetry, now it's just fun. At first it was information overload.
Thanks for info, im still in overload mode!!

That video was funny. What is his page? I'd like to see more. The only thing I disagree with is when he said the flight was unsuccessful. In my opinion, any flight that ends with the bird safely at your feet is a good one. :)

His YouTube channel is NeverMindYour Own
NeverMindYourOwn

His YouTube channel is NeverMindYour Own
NeverMindYourOwn

He's got a bunch of good ones. The one where he flies to his vacation home is pretty long but fun to watch. There's also one where he flies over "tsunami" like waves. At first he acts like a kid in a candy shop. It's funny but he gets some great shots and also has some interesting moments like when he flies super high over the waves you don't get the impression of how huge the waves are unless you're practically right on top of them.

Another one to watch, he explores a very hard to see and access waterfall. Very cool and shows how much the drone can go places and see things that humans wouldn't be able to do.

Very cool stuff on his page.

He does a few reviews. I get bored listening to him talk when he's sitting in his home but when he's out flying he's fun to listen to.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik