To fit prop guards or not ?

Reaction score
Hi everyone ! I am contemplating a slightly risky flight through quite a large hole through the middle of a disused tower. Somebody suggested fitting prop guards, which seemed s good idea. When I went to buy some I noticed that they fit on using the screws underneath motors.
Seeing as this is a weak point on drone, heard plenty of stories of cracks appearing around screw holes. It occurred to Me that in the event of a crash, this would put stress upon this vulnerable point. I figured I'd rather replace broken props than compromise the rigidity of motor housing.
Anyone have any thoughts on this matter, even better anyone crashed with prop guards on, and noticed cracks appear around motor housing or not ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: rene van der meer
Get the clip on guards. When not fitted, the mount that holds the guards could add a little more protection against stress cracks.

I fly with the removable ones, just be carful when you install and not over thighen them. A crash from a broken prop could cost you lots more

Fullbird
Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

****. I just tossed some clip on guards in the trash last week. I would have sent them to you. Oh well.

Blomdido,

My advice would be just not to rely on prop guards. You never know what will happen if the P3 hits something.

I used prop guards with my first P3. Then I hit a small branch and the P3 crashed. Since then I have never used them again.

I use clip on prop guards. Prop guards are not going to help 'save' your P3 against things
like tree branches. They will protect your props against very low speed impacts on walls,
and other large objects that don't have tree branch-like obstructions. They'll also save your props
on a bad landing where your P3 tips over... They're limited protection. Downside to them,
is they will get into picture/video frame when the P3 is tilted forward, and the camera is full up.
You can counter this by tilting your camera down a bit when flying full forward.
One benefit I do appreciate is they give a better visual orientation with front/rear guards
different colors. (EG: White in front, red in back) Makes the bird more visible too.

Now that I'm more 'accomplished' at flying, I use them less, but still carry 'em, and snap 'em on
if I need added visibility, there's buildings I'll fly close to, or if I fly inside at all.

For me it depends where i fly, close to branches the quards are like loops that hook on and well im stuck in a tree, go get me now. When I fly in narrow enviroment with hard surfaces guards may save the day, you may bounce off if you are moving slowly, if you do strike the surface do not try to recover in a panic as this will make things worse. Too much correction and power will slam you vertical on the surface and by by bird. Many will say you should not be in these situations but they will try to go as far out over water to see if they can break their record for distance. For me these machines are to explore where it would be difficult or impossible to go there with my two little legs. For many different reasons we all get that rush when we succeed a to push our limits. I prefer no guards but sometimes they can save your quad. If others say a good pilot do not need them well I say a good pilot will evaluate the risks and take the neccesary precautions. Thats my 5 cents.

If you are going thru a clear hole like in a tunnel or chimney, prop guards might help you. If you are passing through bushes, guards may not help much.

I have used prop guards every flight for almost a year. They have saved countless propellers. I fly heavily forested areas and side swiped limbs, tree branches, and land on uneven terrain all the time in highly variable winds. I simply do not fly without them. It would be like running around bare assed. LOL!

From what I have seen about the cracks, I would think the stress would be better distributed with the prop guards and reduce the chance of cracks.

Last edited:
I also, always fly with DJI Prop Guards (now)! I also use the string that comes with the guards. This combination has saved me several times.

I have the snap-on prop guards.
They did save me once when the wind picked-up and I hit a fence.
I usually don't have them on unless I'm in a tricky situation.
I believe the mounts for the guards help reinforce the motor mounts so I leave them on.
With the guards on you tend to see them in the video during breaking and fast manoeuvres.

Your bird will go into atti mode when inside the tower and this would be the only place that I would consider prop guards myself because it will keep the prop flying even if it scrapes the wall, but Your flying thru so it comes down to - do you trust your own ability to fly without them in atti mode?

Reactions: blomdido
Very important point made by @Reed L I fly my Hubsan all the time to keep coordination on the sticks but if you know you MAY be going in atti, before the lift you should burn one battery just to practice atti. Lots of time when I drop below the tree tops in heavy forested areas the bird will drop into atti. With 100 feet down surrounded by trees and branches everywhere AND the wind blowing a little practice goes a long ways!

Thank You everyone for all Your thoughts and advice. I had thought they may appear in top of screen when going forward fast. Advice to tilt camera down slightly seems an obvious solution I hadn't considered.
I will practise a lot in atti mode before attempting this flight. Weighing up what everyone has said, I reckon they might be useful when walls are nearby, not so much with branches. I have crashed three times, every time it has been blinking branches that caused it. Or maybe My novice flying ability. Thanks again everyone. Think I'll order a set.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Reed L

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic