To cold to fly ?

Reaction score
Novice P3S question here. I appreciate any and all advise. What temp is considered to cold to fly ? According to my UAV app , 40 deg. is too cold. Maybe I'm missing something ? Does cold weather affect the drone in a negative way ?

Attachments

• 1455978080597.jpg
    1455978080597.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 318
I think your app is giving you suggestions which you don't have to necessarily follow. Use your judgement.

Re temps, I believe DJI suggests not flying in below freezing weather, but many people have flown in sub-zero F conditions and not had a problem. The most important thing is the temp of your battery, which ideally would be toasty warm - around 80-100 F - especially flying in brutal winter air.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for your advice. I'm a beginner and trying to learn all I can from everyone here. Thank you

I flew mine 2 nights ago here in upstate NY, -1F.
You gotta keep you batteries warm or it won't even start the motors.
Also, when it's cold like that, if you have a mishap, it will break!
On the reverse end of the temperature scale, air thins out the warmer it gets. Like higher altitude areas, hot air is thinner. The props have to spin faster to maintain lift.
Both are battery killers.
Last, be super careful of condensation! That will ruin and/or expand your batteries.

The battery temp is very important. You should keep the battery and spare batteries warm. Just like batteries for a camera, keep them in an inside pocket of your jacket. If the battery is colder than DJI suggests you will get a Battery Temperature Warning in the DJI GO.app. I had a spare battery that I did not keep warm, I got the warning which said to warm the battery to 25c before flight. The battery temp was 15c, I warmed it up in my jacket to about 22c. I still had the warning so I hovered a few feet off the ground until the battery got to 25c. The issue with cold batteries is they can be too cold to produce the power required for high drain flight operations like rapid takeoff and rapid altitude gains.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik