Tips for shooting Waterfalls?

Reaction score
Hi all, I've enjoyed this forum and all the great advice on set up, camera settings, etc.. I'm going to shoot some waterfalls at dusk and am looking for camera set up recommendations. Phantom 2, zenmuse 2D, hero3 black.

The falls are pretty fast moving, about 2-300 feet long, with a total drop of 60 feet from top to bottom with many steps.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations!

Shooting either still pictures or movies at dusk or dawn gives you a very limited time frame to work. If you can, go out at least one day in advance of the planned shoot and do a photo recon. Fly the course several times to get the feel of the flight. Fly both directions over the course. Put all information on paper, just like a movie script. Nine tenths of your work will involve using FPV to capture the shot. Make sure that you are relaxed using the system. Plan the shots. When taking the pictures, be sure to get both the water and the banks on both sides. Stay high enough above the water to ensure the quad does not get wet. That also goes for the camera lens. How many times have you seen a good movie ruined by water drops on the lens? Take several practice still pictures with different camera settings. You should be able to see the differences. Or you can use the auto settings and let the camera make the decisions. The camera manual should be able to provide guidance.

Thanks for the advice Jerry. I have scouted the location a couple times but have not flown there yet. I've learned (the hard way) that water spray can ruin otherwise great footage. I was going to white balance at 3000k but will combine that with auto per your suggestion. Unfortunately no FPV yet, but I should have that set up very soon (tx, antennas, and black pearl monitor/receiver). Will post my test footage for critique later this week. Thanks again!

I filmed one recently in Bali (http://youtu.be/S208zpD1D1M) using a P2 G3-H3 and it turned out ok, as discussed above I made sure to keep far enough away from the water. I have since got a Polar Pro ND Filter which changes the F stop about 3 steps and slows the shutter speed a bit which would probably give the water flow a better look. The filter will also reduce the dreaded jello effect.
Please post a vid when its done.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.