Tips for new Phantom 3 Pro owner

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Just purchased a new P3P and was hoping the forum can help me to compile a list of things to do and not to do.
I have been flying Walkera kit for a while (no boo hissing please. :) ) and have made the change.
Bit like canon to Nikon really.

I cold trawl through all the forum posts but it would be really useful to me and many other new pilots to have as much as possible in the one spot.

Things like, Ground station is coming soon, should I or should I not upgrade the firmware to the newest version etc etc.

There is a wealth of knowledge here, be great to hear all your do's and dont's

Regards

Stay away from trees...until you know how to fly fully, practice emergency situation's. When you're in trouble let go of the sticks focus and figure out how to fix it, most times just landing will save you.

Reactions: terry s
Thanks so much for all the great feedback. Love the Wiki idea as well!

Does anyone balance their props? with the Walkera it was essential to avoid shimmer on the camera and the stock props were well out of balance.

Anyone do the same for their P3P?

Read the manual 3 times minimum
good idea, I have started making a QRS for myself with light codes etc rather than have something on page 87 of the manual I need to find. It will make me more diligent to taking note of them rather than moving to the to hard basket and ignoring something I shouldnt

Thanks so much for all the great feedback. Love the Wiki idea as well!

Does anyone balance their props? with the Walkera it was essential to avoid shimmer on the camera and the stock props were well out of balance.

Anyone do the same for their P3P?
I always check a new prop for balance, have had good luck with the DJI 9450 self tightening props which are the only ones right now that you should be using. Do not use props with metal hubs-- and although the stock props for the Phantom 2 will fit on the Phantom 3, don't use them. There are sites on Ebay that sells represents that P2 and P3 are interchangeable..
No. Only if you really tip it forward.
Use the quick connect prop guards and take them off when you are filming. Even hovering in a head wind of any speed and the prop guards will be visible.

I always check a new prop for balance, have had good luck with the DJI 9450 self tightening props which are the only ones right now that you should be using. Do not use props with metal hubs-- and although the stock props for the Phantom 2 will fit on the Phantom 3, don't use them. There are sites on Ebay that sells represents that P2 and P3 are interchangeable..

I have noticed some carbon fibre one up on ebay as well starting they are also DJI 9540. recommended or avoid?

I have noticed some carbon fibre one up on ebay as well starting they are also DJI 9540. recommended or avoid?
if they don't have the composite threads, and have metal threads, stay away from them. The hard braking action on the Phantom can break them loose and you may lose one. If they have the same composite threads used by the P3, they may be ok.

And, the dreaded flip of death, I can't see any reports of it on the Phantom 3 Pro. Any comments?

Buy yourself some quick attach prop guards.

DO they get in the way when filming straight ahead? I dont want to see guards if at all possible
DO NOT DO THIS. learn to fly and don't buy these death traps. If you follow the rules and learn to fly properly, you won't need them and you will do it the right way. I mean, who in the hell wants to go into a flight thinking well, when I do crash, at least I might save a $2 prop, maybe. Not to mention your footage on full speed shots will be useless. I know, I know cue the people who hate me for hating them. I'm sorry, it's my passion to not like them.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic