Tipping over upon landing

Reaction score
Hi there,

I've got 260k plus feet inflight on over 90 flights and 13 hours of flight time. Just tonight on two perfect flights as I was landing and performing a CSC my bird flipped. Is it time for new props??

If they are damaged it might be time for new props but they aren't causing your problem.
It's time to learn to use the left stick down method of shutting down on landing rather than using CSC.
i-ZhRNmjb-L.jpg

dont use csc to stop, use left stick full down for a few seconds
^^ This always.

Even though CSC is in the manual as an option to stop after landing, it is known to cause frequent tip overs.

I used CSC first 5 or 10 times round and stopping the P3 rotors after a flight seemed scarier than flying it without FPV, then I read that you can switch it off by holding the throttle down for 3 seconds and have not used CSC ever again.

CSC makes the P3 unstable if not done properly and will make it tip over.

I used CSC first 5 or 10 times round and stopping the P3 rotors after a flight seemed scarier than flying it without FPV, then I read that you can switch it off by holding the throttle down for 3 seconds and have not used CSC ever again.

CSC makes the P3 unstable if not done properly and will make it tip over.
And I'm not sure how to do it properly upon landing. I was RELIABLY tipping over each time I used the CSC method. Which was only a couple I guess. LOL But with my hand on the craft, I tried different ways and if the props are turning you're giving rull left roll, and full right rudder until it responses, which even if nearly instantly, you have the time it took to move the sticks there. I used the throttle back exclusively now.

And I'm not sure how to do it properly upon landing. I was RELIABLY tipping over each time I used the CSC method. Which was only a couple I guess. LOL But with my hand on the craft, I tried different ways and if the props are turning you're giving rull left roll, and full right rudder until it responses, which even if nearly instantly, you have the time it took to move the sticks there. I used the throttle back exclusively now.

I never did tip it over but it was scary as hell, its like the P3 used to go into schizophrenia mode lol

If I do land I just hold the left stick down for 3 seconds, I hand catch 99.9% of the time since learning how to do that and can't remember the last time I actually landed my P3 on the ground.

Oh, and I mostly hand catch now. It's SO easy. I grab the bird as close to the fuselage as possible, use the throttle back technique to stop, which is extra appropriate here, because one hand is occupied, and when the motors stop, I left it softly move to where it's hanging from my hand. I don't try to hold it level and stress the gear. EASY.

If they are damaged it might be time for new props but they aren't causing your problem.
It's time to learn to use the left stick down method of shutting down on landing rather than using CSC.
i-ZhRNmjb-L.jpg
yeah, i learned the hard way. mine tipped but the left rear motor didn't receive the kill cmnd and overheated, melting the motor mounts in the arm. now i have to replace the motor and lower shell.
its safer just to catch it.

A CSC is only good for starting the motors.. When motors are running, a CSC command to shut them down is a certain recipe for a tip over. A CSC command is literally you telling the Phantom to yaw to the right and slam its left rear motor/prop into the ground. Or vice versa depending on if you turn the sticks inward or outward. Always use left stick down to shut down motors or hand catch..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: aenbacka
A CSC is only good for starting the motors.. When motors are running, a CSC command to shut them down is a certain recipe for a tip over. A CSC command is literally you telling the Phantom to yaw to the right and slam its left rear motor/prop into the ground. Or vice versa depending on if you turn the sticks inward or outward. Always use left stick down to shut down motors or hand catch..

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

In my opinion DJI should remove the instructions about shutting down motors using CSC. I remember the first time i did fly with my DJI Phantom 3 Adv, and tried to stop using CSC (as shown in the official manual). Very close to crash due to tipover, luckily I got it quickly to ascend up so no damage. I always use left stick down now.

Believe me. Do not use CSC to turn off props on Landing!.
Drone flipped on manual landing, props jammed on grass engines full blast trying to stabilise, screeching noise, tried turn off by throttle did not work, had to pull battery out, not confident enough in picking it up. some smoke out of 2 of the motors.
The good news however, the motors must have some circuit breaker, I let them rest till it cooled down and motors worked fine.

Reactions: iflyhelis
Well one of the commands is just down on the right stick to land manually and shut the motors off. Which is what I always do. I never auto land. I get it on the ground and hold the stick down for 3 seconds to shut it off

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I always bring mine to a steady hover about 5 feet off the ground and grab the Phantom with my right hand and then hold the left stick down with my left hand to cut the engines. That way there are no worries about landing surfaces/prop wash/etc.

CNC shutdown while on the ground is a terrible way to stop the motors. As you begin to push the sticks to the CNC position the throttle burps & causes tip overs. Just hold the left stick down for ~ 2 seconds to shutdown the motors & you won't have this problem.

Hi there,

I've got 260k plus feet inflight on over 90 flights and 13 hours of flight time. Just tonight on two perfect flights as I was landing and performing a CSC my bird flipped. Is it time for new props??

Just as a warning: From what I've read, it's very wise to replace your props if they have even minor looking nicks in them. These can become stress points. Since I know a catastrophic propeller failure is an instant catastrophe, I'm pretty **** about replacing props that don't look like new, but look like they'd probably be OK. Too much at stake IMHO.

Oh, DJI pushing the CSC method of stopping the engines on the ground, and mentioning just retarding the left stick down as just another way, smells funny.

Like their propeller department gets a % of propeller sales, and they wrote that part of the manual!

I can SENSE in my mind you are all thinking I'm paranoid, and laughing behind my back! And I don't appreciate it! Don't deny it either, I know it's true.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic