Tipping over at takeoff

Reaction score
I'm a new flyer with a standard Phantom that I've flown 3 times now. I've had a few hard landings where the drone flipped over and the props got bent up a bit. I've managed to straighten them out and they look okay, but today when I was flying, about half the time on takeoff, instead of lifting straight up the drone would tip forward and turn onto the front side. If I sat it on my hard case, which is about 12 inches high, it would tip but still lift off. But sitting on the ground it tipped about half the time.

Once in the air the drone flies fine and I'm not seeing any noticable wobble when hovering. Coming down for a landing if I take my time it sits down okay. I suspect the problem is the props. Any ideas?

You need to loose the old props, obviously they are way off balance, plus you need to check the motors and make sure that all of the screws are tight. If it's tipped over more than once then there's a serious issue. I would at the very least check the balance of the props right now and if they are off, toss'em. Either way I personally wouldn't fly until I got new props because they probably have hairline cracks that can barely be seen with a loupe. Being that you had to bend them back into place, they are now toast. Plus you need a prop balancer to balance even the new props. Most of the time they come well balanced from the factory but I have had 2 out of 8 that needed work before being able to fly. Unbalanced props cause a lot of vibration plus wear & tear on the motors and shell.

+1 on verify the props are OK.

Even once you have new ones... FULL throttle on take-off always.

Try to avoid using 'auto' features as they do not help you develop piloting/flying skills.

Reactions: GMayberry

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31