Tip - Upgrading the RC with 1.4

Reaction score
So this post is to try and help out anyone stuck in the same situation I was earlier today!

My P3A was still on the stock FW it shipped with because I'd heard nothing but horror stories about the later ones, and 1.1.9 was working fine for me.

With the release of 1.4 I decided to upgrade. UAV and batteries went fine using the usual "bin file on the SD card" technique. Then I went to upgrade the RC, as it was complaining that it needed one. The upgrade using the DJI failed, I assume because the version on it was too old. So I put the 1.4 bin file on a thumb drive, and it wouldn't upgrade. The txt file it dropped said the installed version was the same or later than the upgrade file - which was obviously not the case.

A little head scratching later and I tried putting the 1.3.2 bin file on the thumb drive, given that it should have the same RC FW as the 1.4 one, and that worked great. So...not only does the 1.4 FW not _require_ an RC upgrade, it doesn't seem to even allow one. Odd!

So this post is to try and help out anyone stuck in the same situation I was earlier today!

My P3A was still on the stock FW it shipped with because I'd heard nothing but horror stories about the later ones, and 1.1.9 was working fine for me.

With the release of 1.4 I decided to upgrade. UAV and batteries went fine using the usual "bin file on the SD card" technique. Then I went to upgrade the RC, as it was complaining that it needed one. The upgrade using the DJI failed, I assume because the version on it was too old. So I put the 1.4 bin file on a thumb drive, and it wouldn't upgrade. The txt file it dropped said the installed version was the same or later than the upgrade file - which was obviously not the case.

A little head scratching later and I tried putting the 1.3.2 bin file on the thumb drive, given that it should have the same RC FW as the 1.4 one, and that worked great. So...not only does the 1.4 FW not _require_ an RC upgrade, it doesn't seem to even allow one. Odd!
I was just going to ask if it needed to be upgraded, but it doesnt need one right?

So...not only does the 1.4 FW not _require_ an RC upgrade, it doesn't seem to even allow one. Odd!
Odd? Not really ... because there is no RC update in the latest firmware, they didn't put any on the update file.
That's why you had to go back to find a version that had it included.
It's amazing haw people read of a small number of people with problems (many caused by user error or other things not related to firmware, ignore hundreds of reports of no problem upgrades and come up with - nothing but horror stories.
The last update was just about problem free with very few people having any issues and previous versions may have had a small number of issues but nothing like is imagined by many users.
I suspect that it's people posting things like I've heard nothing but horror stories that causes things to get out of proportion.

Odd? Not really ... because there is no RC update in the latest firmware, they didn't put any on the update file.
That's why you had to go back to find a version that had it included.
Clearly. I just find that odd, it's not how I've ever seen firmware distributed before (which is typically "this file will update everything to the latest, regardless". Anyway, I figured if it took me a moment to work out maybe I could save someone else the trouble, as I'm _sure_ I'm not the only one who didn't go from 1.3.2 to 1.4.

It's amazing haw people read of a small number of people with problems (many caused by user error or other things not related to firmware, ignore hundreds of reports of no problem upgrades and come up with - nothing but horror stories.
The last update was just about problem free with very few people having any issues and previous versions may have had a small number of issues but nothing like is imagined by many users.
The 1.2.x ones had way more problems reported that I was comfortable with. Sure maybe some were user error or whatever, but DJI even acknowledged issues. Seeing as it didn't add any features I cared about and a downgrade wasn't possible, there was no reason to risk it. 1.3.x was I'm sure better but I was out of town and so never upgraded.

If you're already on 1.3.2 it doesn't need an update. But I was on 1.1.9 so it did.
OK cool, I read in the PDF file that the controller did not need an update. Just so I am sure on this what do I need to do to be able to access the new features? From the comments on other things that I have seen I guess it needs to be in the air?

My controller also will not update and the one that is on the RC is 1.2.6.

I tried updated when 1.3.2 came out and it wouldn't allow it saying it was already up-to-date. I understand that the RC does not require every new update, but mine keeps saying that it REQUIRES an update. Then, when I try to give it one, it won't take it. I tried letting the latest Go app (The one released with yesterday's FW update) automatically update the RC's firmware. I followed the instructions and when I clicked on the update button, it just gave me a line of text saying to follow the directions in the manual. I used a USB stick and tried it. No luck there, either. My text file said what was there was the same or newer than what I was trying to put in. Fine, but it keeps telling me that an UPDATE IS REQUIRED.

How do I solve this?

UPDATE:

Solved. I had to go back a version and upgrade the RC with 1.3.2 FW. then it was happy. I still don't know why I was unable to perform that upgrade when it came out, but for some reason, it worked this time. Now everything is happy and no complaints about requiring a FW update.

Jesus!
Its on the instructions of the 1.4 firmware: Users should update the RC if needed with 1.3.2.0 fw...

Is it hard to read?

I did it because my RC never receive a update....and of course i update the P3A with 1.4fw....

Yes, it is there. However, as I stated, I had already tried to update to 1.3.2 when it came out. My RC rejected it and I kept 1.2.6. Now with yesterday's FW update and new Go app, the app was telling me that a Firmware update was REQUIRED. Since I had already tried 1.3.2 and it did not update before, I have no reason to try again. I was confused because it seemed that the RC did not require an update, would not update to 1.3.2 and the app was at the same time saying that an update was required.

Somehow, for reasons I may never know, when I tried AGAIN to update to 1.3.2 on the RC, it took it this time and now everything is happy.

It was not a case of not being able to read. It was a case of not believing that I could try the exact same thing on the exact same RC and get a different result. Apparently, that was not the case.

Reactions: Mordor
Maybe it would happen to me if i tried some weeks ago.....

I only had to change the PEN....but it did go OK.

Ok....now everthing is working, lets enjoy our machines! ;-)

I did the update to 1.4.0010 last night it seemed to go like a normal update when finished I had a success on the text file at the top. Then I tried to update the controller and it did not take it. Since then I seem to understand that I didn't need to do that update. But when I turned on the drone it starting with a very load beeping and did not stop. I will try what some suggest of just letting it do this loud beeping and it will stop. Will try that.

Just turned it on and let it keep making this loud beeping. It lasted about 10 min or more then the normal start up sound and no loud beeping and the lights came on. Then it seemed to make the normal upgrade beeping sound. I let that go for about 10 min. looked and saw the camera light was just steady green so turned it off. Then turned it back on and got the normal start up and everything seems ok. Will have to try to connect to controller which I guess don't need the latest update. My DJI Go updated by itself in the iPad.
I hope all is ok now. Will try it out.

My RC has firmware 1.1.9+. Bird came stock with 1.3.2. I now upgraded the bird to 1.4. But the RC doesn't want to upgrade to 1.4.
I suppose RC firmware 1.1.9+ (note the +) is actually 1.3.2, and since 1.4 didn't have an RC upgrade, I'm fine. Correct?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj