tip over first flight, something wrong?

Reaction score
I figured I might have installed the props in wrong order or something. First flight I increased prop speed slowly until it was ready to take off, but it tipped over. Took off the props, reinstalled same deal.

Am I taking off too slow or something?

Yeah, you have to give it plenty of throttle until it is a few meters off the ground, then you can let go of the throttle stick if you want.

+1 to the other guys. I did the same thing, tipped over trying to be careful. A nice powerful authoritative take off is recommended.

also keep this in mind since you're new: when you land, don't use the "move both sticks down and together" movement to turn OFF the motors as this will cause a tipover. simply hold the throttle full down for a few seconds (I believe left stick is default) and the motors will spin down.

last tip: look into and understand a "vortex ring state": basically if you descend straight down too quickly you descend into your own disturbed air and can cause loss of lift and the Phantom will plummet to the ground. Always have some lateral movement (forward/backward/left/right) while descending, especially quickly

I am having the same problem, I just changed my motors, and took it out for a flight, And it wanted to lean forward right into the ground.
I even held it over my head and could feel it wanting to go forward when i pressed the throttle.
Hopefully we can find and fix the problem.

brad90631 said:
confirm that the rotation of your props are correct.

Mines are spinning this way:

Front
(cw) (ccw)

(ccw) (cw)

Back

Im guessing even if they were the opposite then it would lean backwards more.

Thanks guys. It's a breezy day. With a little more enthusiasm I took off quick, adjusted and flew my first flight. This quad is simple (compared to the toy heli's and quad's I've flown). Automatically corrects for wind, hands-off stability, this is awesome! I really wish it came with a good set of instructions. I just learned how to charge the battery, lol. Thank God for forums like these and youtube!

Do you folks recommend extra batteries /props, or any extras worthwhile?

I've installed props backwards on toy quads and it won't take off. Just remember the props want to push the air down when they spin (the phantom arrows show the direction the motors spin)

Ohary said:
Do you folks recommend extra batteries /props, or any extras worthwhile?

I recommend the following.

Go pro case http://www.amazon.com/Professional-Case ... B00H6BU3J4

Extra props (at least 2 complete sets) that way if you break a bunch of the same kind of prop you will be covered.
http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-Visio ... FZ2K334IOY
Make sure you get original DJI props, there are cheap knockoffs that are sketchy.

Prop guards. http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Phantom-Prop- ... gy_p_img_y

For when you have to fly near trees and other objects. ( if it is windy they will affect flight more )
So you hav ego use your best judgment when using these.
VERY IMPORTANT!!! if you do use prop guards do not throw away the original screws, you will need to use them if you take off the guards. If you use the longer scows without the guards they will damage the motors. and possible the ESC's and cause major damage.

Extra batteries, I wouldn't buy more than 2 extra. and make sure you rotate using all of your batteries.
Mark your batteries and keep a log on how long each one was used.
If you are going to store your phantom for more than a couple a months I would store the batteries with 1/2 charge not a full charge.

http://www.amazon.com/DJI-Battery-Phant ... 2P28Q3WYR5
I would not buy any other kind of battery since the phantom checks the electronics of the battery to make sure it is
a DJI battery and could cause problems.

I just gave amazon links as a reference

Also I highly recommend a strict regimen of a PM schedule and preflight checklist.
check out this guy.
www.youtube.com/user/Nomisnotwen

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers