Tip during take off

Reaction score
Hello all, First time poster, couple week lurker. I have borrow a friends drone and can't fly it. Every time I take off it flips over in the same direction no matter what way it faces. I have calibrated the imu and gps. I read about taking off fast but it goes over before it goes up and out of desperation I have tried pushing the right stick to counter this tip.

So on to my questions:

1. One of the prop nuts was missing so I replaced it with a basic nut from a hardware store. (I know it's a bad idea cause it may fall off but I'm waiting for a proper back ordered one to arrive) Could this be causing the tip? I would think the drone is strong enough to counter this?

2. The same one that was missing the prop but seams to have some friction when I hand turn it. I don't know if I'm too excited and imagining this or if it's real. It is possible the drone crashed and caused this but aren't they pretty durable? I though a prop would go before an issue with the motor?

I really want to get the drone flying and I can't contact my friend cause he's on vacation.

Any ideas how to get the drone off the ground would be much appreciated!

TL;DR: Drone tips on take off (same way each time) I don't know if it's me or it. Help please!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I guess I should also mention this is my first ever time seeing or touching a phantom of any sort.

And playing with it one more time I think I have it figured out. The wrong prop nut was allowing the propeller to lift up a small amount which in turn caused it to lose grip with the motor making the propeller only move at low power when I brought the power up it would start to slip and end in a tip over. This theory is to be tested tomorrow hopefully!

Just checking, did you do the IMU, compass and other calibrations?

Before take off just give a little throttle get the motors all revving then go full throttle to lift off .

Make sure the props are fitted in the correct way,as in each prop is on the correct arm/motor.
There are two clockwise props and two counterclockwise props.
If the stock props are being used they will have a circular arrow on them.Match the arrows direction with the circular arrows on each arm,near the motors.
If these arrows don't match,the prop will be spinning in the wrong direction.
If one or two props are spinning in the wrong direction that will cause the Phantom to flip when you try to take off.

I am 90% sure it's just the loose but but thanks every one for the feedback. I realized that with how tight the nut was I could still move the prop without the motor turning meaning this is likely the problem. My bigger problem not is this heavy wet snow we have I'm too afraid to fly a friends drone incase it hits the heavy snow.

Good news it was the loose prop nut! Had an amazing flight until one of the prop nuts my friend put on flew off! Was only a couple feet in the air so drones fine! Guess it's time to find another prop nut!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj