Time to send in my P3P for warranty? What to expect?

Reaction score
I've had my P3P for about 3 months now. I've logged 54 flights with out any incidents and the bird has performed flawlessly.

I perform a visual inspection of the bird before every flight, as I'm sure most of you do, and about 10 flights ago I noticed a crack forming on the motor mounting area on one of the rear arms. The crack has gradually grown bigger and after seeing the thread where the motor came loose from the chassis mid flight, I'm starting to get nervous.

While the majority of my flights take place in wide open farm country where there is very little chance of the bird crashing and injuring someone or property, I still want to get it repaired. If nothing else, for my own peace of mind.

My question to the folks on this forum is which scenario would be better? Send the bird in now to get the chassis replaced or continue flying until it breaks? The reason I ponder this is because I'm unsure of what to expect from DJI. My bird has the old style motors. Is that something they automatically update when they get a bird for warranty repair or would the failure/damage have to be motor related? I would feel better knowing I have the most updated motors and main board. I'm concerned that if I send it in now, I'll get it back with a new chassis but same internals and motors. Whereas if it crashes due to the chassis damage, I'm sure the extent of damage would necessitate motor and board replacement.

I was hoping that anyone with personal experience on cracked chassis warranty repair could chime in and let me know if the chassis was all that was changed. Did you have the old style motors when you sent it in?

Thank you in advance for any input anyone may have.

Reactions: deltamike
At this time they would only replace the shell. If you have stickers on the P3, you will only get red and purple ones back. You won't get the DJI gold sticker on top back or the tiny motor warning stickers back. I'd recommend that you take photos of the entire P3 before sending it in. You won't get knew motors. Your firmware will be upgraded to the latest. "Old" motors are just as good as the "new" motors (that is, they are just different... no better or worse).

Reactions: deltamike
I don't much care about the stickers. I will definitely take pics of everything if/when I do decide to send it in.

Your statement about the old and new motors, from what I've seen on this forum, is somewhat debatable. The majority of people having experience with both claim the new motors to be a bit quieter and if that's the case, I would consider them better. JMHO.

So you say that they would only replace the shell. Is this from your personal experience?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20