Time lapse

Reaction score
Just curious if anyone has done time lapse videos and how they turned out? Im assuming in no winds would be ideal but the chances of that in general are slim to none.

Let's see what you got!

Reactions: zacksomeone
I'd like to see some too. Been thinking of experimenting with time lapse as I've never used it before but the weather has been terrible since Thursday.

Casey Neistat takes a lot of time lapses with his Phantom 4. For example, check out this one. I'm not sure what the wind is like when he's shooting, but they all seem to turn out well.

Reactions: KidKobe210
Casey does use his drone in almost all his vlogs these days I'm kinda hooked I like his style

They are not really time lapse, more a very very speeded up video clip

They are not really time lapse, more a very very speeded up video clip
If you speed up a video, that would give you the same results as a time-lapse. No?

That is true casey always uses his p4 in his recent vids now.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

I'm curious about time elapse as well. I just got an osmo and it has a time lapse feature which involves taking pics every so many seconds. I haven't quite yet figured it out. I also thought just speeding up video would work too. I plan on researching this more this coming weekend, but if there are any time lapse pros on here that can shed some light, your help would be greatly appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: Matthewkort
Casey Neistat takes a lot of time lapses with his Phantom 4. For example, check out this one. I'm not sure what the wind is like when he's shooting, but they all seem to turn out well.

In that vid, he's flying directly over a road and heavy traffic at maybe 40-60 ft up. is that legal?

Thanks. I saw the one from DJI. It's a joke. It doesn't mention anything about the settings. The second video I have not seen and was helpful. I haven't really started looking into this yet, but the Osmo looks like it's really easy once you figure what settings are best for what you're doing. I'm more interested in how to do it from my Phantom. I'd like to do some aerials. Thanks again.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Time lapse usually covers a greater span of time.
I guess it all depends on what you're going for. The example I referenced above is only a few seconds in length. That could have been successfully shot via either method. I'm assuming the end result look the same.

What is the best approach to do a good time lapse or hyper lapse with the Phantom. Thanks

Here is time lapse (sorry, not drone related):

Here is a video (drone related) done with a sped up video. The twist here is that the drone was flown via waypoints very slowly:

I don't think I've done any time lapse with the Phantom as it's difficult. I'd recommend holding it in one position and getting a photo every 5 - 10 seconds.

If you speed up a video, that would give you the same results as a time-lapse. No?

Yes, they are literally the same thing, seeing as how video is nothing more than a certain number of photographs taken per second.

Yes, they are literally the same thing, seeing as how video is nothing more than a certain number of photographs taken per second.

They are different and they look different.

Sped up video starts with about 30 pictures taken in a second and then sped up to show a long time frame very quickly. But you still see all 30fps.

Time lapse starts with about 1 picture every 5 seconds. BIG difference. What you see are large gaps in action in order to compress a long film time into a short displace. It's very jerky.

They are different and they look different.

Sped up video starts with about 30 pictures taken in a second and then sped up to show a long time frame very quickly. But you still see all 30fps.

They are literally the exact same process, just different rates. When you play a time lapse you still see all 1/5 fps.

>Time lapse starts with about 1 picture every 5 seconds

Or 1 picture every 4 seconds?
Or 1 picture every 2 seconds?
Or 1 picture every second?
Or 1 picture every 1/2 second?
Or 1 picture every 1/24th second?

What is the cutoff between "shooting frames" and "video?"

I prefer the look of hyper lapse then. Looks way cooler. I guess the only problem is getting long time frames.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic