Time Lapse Style Vid of My House Build

Reaction score
I'm new to the drone world, and have just started construction of my first home build.
The entire reason i bought my P3S was to get some aerial footage of the build.

As i am new to the P3S and its settings, i'm just wondering if the following would be possible, and if yes any advice on how to achieve it.
I am currently using the Litchi app on my iPhone 6+

What i want to achieve is an orbit around the lot, and over 2 or 3 rotations have the entire house build in a time lapse style video before my eyes. Obviously I will need to do a lot of post production work to the footage.
Would saving an orbit profile have the bird fly the exact same path every time?

Another option is with still pics.
Is there a way to make it orbit the lot as per above option, and take a picture from the exact same spot/s every time? I will come back once per day and run the task.
Ideally 8 pics in one rotation. Front, Sides, Rear and each corner/diagonal.
Again I will edit the photo's post production.

I would suggest utilizing video AND still shots.

Reactions: STAINLESS
A) Yes that would be exactly what I would do (and do). I fly for architects and contractors and that is exactly how I do repeat Orbit shots.

B) I "think" there is a picture option for each waypoint but I've not used it and would have to play with Litchi to confirm this. Hopefully someone more fluent in "Litchi" can answer this definitively.

ah yes, instead of an orbit i could save a waypoint mission and take a photo at each spot with the center of the house as a poi.
just was not sure how exact the positioning would be over a few months.

It's fairly close but.... (there's always a but . . ) don't push yourself and always have a large area of "error" built into your mission. Also remember to take into account chimneys, decks, roof overhangs, garages, and other "extra" structures that could be taller than you'd expect.

Yer its just for my own entertainment. not looking to produce an award winning video so i can live with a few imperfections haha...
Just didn't want, by day 20, to be circling the neighbours house.

Pretty excited, i love this thing....

Reactions: BigAl07
It should be fairly consistent in way points etc. I'd test it each time maybe even create a "Test Scenario" to fly each time to make sure nothing has changed.

Another question, kind of still on topic, is there a way to set waypoints with lat. long. coordinates?
I noticed in litchi an option to email a mission to load.

Please share whatcha come up with and or if it worked for ya!

yer will do, its just a patch of dirt at the moment so will be a while till i have something worth watching.

But having said that....

Reactions: MartinV
Yeah man that's gonna be really cool! 1st new home only comes once and getting good shots r a must. Wish l could help w/ waypoints but not much practice here. l think you'll be fine. I'd say key is simply making sure that mission saves. Good luck

Man that is really cool! Just one question: how would you "compress" your normal orbit footage into a time lapse while slowing down flying speed to fit the entire clip into 2-3 rotations? Any specific editing software and technics will you be using? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Man that is really cool! Just one question: how would you "compress" your normal orbit footage into a time lapse while slowing down flying speed to fit the entire clip into 2-3 rotations? Any specific editing software and technics will you be using? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots
Thats easy....
1. Join video/photography editing forum...
2. Ask them...

haha... nah, im just making this up as i go. hopefully i can find what i need on youtube, or someone will point me in the right direction :)

Reactions: steven929
Another question, kind of still on topic, is there a way to set way points with lat. long. coordinates?
I noticed in litchi an option to email a mission to load.
Yes, you can upload a CSV or KML I believe. I actually used this to create a way-point. I have a Bluetooth ODBII connector in my car and an app called Torque. I drove the route I wanted my drone to fly then took an old mission and use the coordinates from Torque to create the mission I wanted

Most of the time when creating a time lapse, you will use only a frame or two from any given day. What will help is if you can fly at the same time of day and compensate each day for the time change. I use Avid Studio. You could switch from the east to west shot for each frame set if you wanted a still. Remember, 29 frames per second. If you divide the length of the video you want to create, by the number of seconds, divided by 29.8, you will get the number of frames needed. Then that by the number of days you fly, you will get the amount of frames you can take from each day.

I did this once in analogue video, with a camera that was set in the same place each week.

That's all I will say here. Sorry if I went over the line. Former pro video editor.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

I'm starting to think this may not be as good as i had hoped.
Being that there is visible action from outside only till the bricks go up, and i will be doing a maximum of one circuit per day, it may not be worth it.
I will do it anyway, but i think it needs to be done about once every few hours to look effective.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20