Time for a class action lawsuit against DJI?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
DJI is clearly itching for a class action lawsuit for ignoring the stress crack issue with many of it's P3Ps. Rather than replace their defective product, they insist on "fixing" your bird over a period of 6-8 weeks. Unacceptable! Any lawyers out there with this problem? Who'll join me?

If and when it happens to me, I will go down that route, it needs some one to give a smack

Well first off they are fixing them, so there is a solution. If you do not like the turn time, which from what I read has gotten significantly less than 6-8 weeks, you can buy another shell. So a class action law suit would be difficult to do, you have prove that there is no response from the manufacturer. There is. Also the only people who gain anything is the attorneys involved who get paid first with any settlement, the rest gets divided. You will have to bring a law suit up to the courts first and then get the judge to make a class action by specifying specific data relating to mass failures. There is lots of squawking but hard to get real numbers as we have no idea of percentages of cracks vs units without. Class action suits takes years to resolve, there will be newer models or they will be discontinued long before there is any resolution. The quads are small change in real world numbers. The parent company is overseas, difficult if not impossible to prosecute or collect.

I agree there is a problem with the shells with some users. I have not seen cracks yet, that does not mean it will not happen. However there are solutions. This is a hobby item, it hardly stopping anyone from making a living so in the reality, get them to fix it for free, send it back. Take a vacation.

Alan

I started a case with DJI now for returning my bird due to shell crack.
They sent me information +++ and said they would fix it.
The only thing I don`t understand is the shipping process:

Some people claims that DJI payed the shipping themselves for you to return the bird to DJI, the guy I`m talking to at DJI says "DJI is not responssible for paying the shipping to DJI except if you bought the bird directly from DJI."
DJI says that either you or the dealer you bought it from have to pay the shipping cost for sending the bird to DJI but they will pay the return shipping from DJI.
A friend of mine bought it in the US on holyday so it`s not that easy contacting the store she bought it from and have them paying the shipping. It was bought from Ritz Camera in Maryland US.

I think I`ll have to pay it myself.
What is your opinion?

DJI is clearly itching for a class action lawsuit for ignoring the stress crack issue with many of it's P3Ps. Rather than replace their defective product, they insist on "fixing" your bird over a period of 6-8 weeks. Unacceptable! Any lawyers out there with this problem? Who'll join me?

Have you reviewed this information?:

After-sales Service Policies | DJI

Can you point to the language, if any, in DJI's 'Disclaimers' and/or 'Terms Of Use' to prove the current handling of these issues is 'Unacceptable' and thus you have a claim?

I mailed one of my P3Ps off to DJI in California about a week ago today. I called them and mentioned that I have these same cracks that people are talking about. He told me to ship it to them. They haven't called or emailed me back yet which is kinda strange because they usually email you back by now.

It is also kinda strange that they are "fixing" people's Phantoms with stress cracks but they haven't yet acknowledged that their shells have a flaw. It seems to me that they should have a recall on all of them because if a Phantom falls from the sky, it could potentially kill someone! Also, these things cost us a lot of money, and the 4 to 6 weeks downtime is ridiculous!

So, I'd probably join such a lawsuit because it seems to me that DJI should overnight you a brand new Phantom with the "New and Improved" shell as soon as they receive your cracked one in the mail instead of having to wait almost 2 months for a "repair".

Last edited:
Reactions: skyhighdiver
What about when they send the unit back in worse shape than when you sent it to them? Should their be any recourse?

Seriously? By the time the suit was filed, litigated/settled, and new P3's with reinforced shells sent out, it would be 2 generations old and you wouldn't want it anyway. 4-6 weeks to have the thing repaired for free is reasonable compared to what you're suggesting.

While we're at it lets get the horizon tilt fixed.

Seriously? By the time the suit was filed, litigated/settled, and new P3's with reinforced shells sent out, it would be 2 generations old and you wouldn't want it anyway. 4-6 weeks to have the thing repaired for free is reasonable compared to what you're suggesting.

I don't think that's the point. They never mentioned stress cracks when I bought it. If they would have said your going to possibly get stress cracks then I could see where your coming from.

Class actions will be based on damages OR the can be brought pursuant to violations of consumer protection statutes. If the latter, those actions may also be brought by State Or Federal Attorneys General. For now you may be well advised to contact your state AG to mediate your claims.

Last edited:

Sorry but you are talking bxxxcks

They are fixing the problem if one existed and in a very few cases.

Reactions: acherman
The only ones that ever win in class action are the lawyers. And it actually hurts the company, in this case DJI which has put out a pretty amazing product for a pretty amazing price. Perfect, no...great, yes! I haven't had the issue but even if I did, I'd be happy sending it in. Lawyers haven't fixed much and screwed up a lot things!

Im mainly pissed off because DJI took so long to respond to my initial support request regarding the cracked shell that I ended up just ordering a new shell at my expense and fixing it myself. They actually tried to close the ticket without even responding to me about it.

They have no incentive to reimburse me or make it right at this point. While a lawsuit is unlikely, I'd be happy to participate in one as a punitive measure. Even if it only hurt DJI that'd be enough for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4