Time for a change of Atti-tude

Reaction score
After reading a number of threads on this forum regarding the Atti mode, I've come to the painful conclusion that I need to learn how to fly my bird in this fickle mode. I've only had my P3S for a month with 18 flights and both of my crashes occured when the RC suddenly switched from PGPS to Atti. I guess this happens when you lose GPS or maybe a bad compass calibration. In any case, my quad drifted with complete indifference to my efforts to bring her home.

So my question - how do I practice Atti without injuring my bird?

Fly above all trees and other obstacles and you won't have anything to crash into. If the wind starts carrying your Phantom away too quickly, go back to P-mode and it'll hold its position again like usual.

Atti mode is good for taking smooth video. It will continue to slide even if the stick is in neutral. In P mode, it will brake which makes the video looks odd. Practice more when there is no wind(0-3mph).

Last edited:
Reactions: Airbroker
I practice with a cheap quad a syma x5sw $75.00 with spare props. This craft is all manual exept for a 6axis gyro that will prevent it from flipping upside down and will regain a flat attitude when you let the sticks go. It has aprox 300 feet range and if you pass that it just falls. So practice in a field. It is so light that the fall impack in a field has not damaged my quad yet. The wind will bounce this thing around, I enjoy being able to fly this thing around and regaining control, it's like playing a 2 person game you against the wind. You quickly develop the skills that will make you a better pilot. Beware.. for me the wind wins some times at 10 mph and all of them at 15.

I practiced for a month. Out everyday that I could. Fortunately for me, there is wide open farm fields for me to fly in right out my back door. I took off, landed, and flew the craft completely in Atti Mode. Let me tell you something, it was frightful a couple of times. It happened to me right at the beginning of the learning process. As you fly more and more in this mode, you will gradually gain more skills and confidence to fly in this mode. I learned this before I ever even thought of pictures and video. I am starting to learn that now.

I now, prefer to fly in Atti. It makes me feel like I am in control of the bird and not some program doing it for me. As you say, it's more of an atti-tude adjustment as well. When I need to fly in tighter spaces and I am not comfortable, I will switch to P mode. But I am always itching to pop it back to Atti.

I really think once you get comfortable in Atti Mode, you will fly in that mode as a matter of choice. But even if you don't, when that bad boy jumps to Atti on you, you will be able to control it. Just practice. Like finalfantasyfan says, keep out of the winds at first. Move up in wind speed gradually. I fly ATTI in no more that 15mph. But then again, I only fly in 15 mph or less in any mode.

Good luck, Go for it. You will be glad you did.

Mike

Reactions: gvsukids
Thanks for the great advice. As usual, my first thought is to keep her low while practicing when in fact the safer strategy is to go high. I hadn't even thought about smoother video capture, another good reason to be proficient in atti. Practicing with a cheap quad is smart - I'm just so darn impatient.

Reactions: mcphipps
Thanks for the great advice. As usual, my first thought is to keep her low while practicing when in fact the safer strategy is to go high. I hadn't even thought about smoother video capture, another good reason to be proficient in atti. Practicing with a cheap quad is smart - I'm just so darn impatient.

Me too. But the older I get the wiser I get. And I thought my dad didn't know ****...LOL
Now I am dad, and Grand dad too.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic