Tilted horizon issues

Reaction score
Ok so I no I've seen these posts before and I've searched up want more answers. I need a fix to this without sending it in. Anyone fixed it. Already did the calibrations

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: twonorth69
I'm afraid you're looking something that simply does not exist. I have never seen a post here or anywhere else offered as the definitive fix to the problem. The general consensus is that it's hardware, plain and simple. I've also seen mixed results upon return from DJI. I just live with it.

Ok so I no I've seen these posts before and I've searched up want more answers. I need a fix to this without sending it in. Anyone fixed it. Already did the calibrations

What calibrations have you performed?
I have always calibrated IMU and then do the gimbal calibration. It has worked for me and many of my clients.
How severe is the tilt after calibrations?

My belief is the horizon tilt has something to do with the Phantom not compensating for aircraft roll & it is exacerbated by wind. It is unpredictable. You can fly one day & the horizon is great & the next day it totally sucks. Watch when flying sideways on a windy day & sometimes the horizon is WAY off. Sit in place & rotate the bird & watch the horizon go from tilting one way, to level, to tilting the other way, then back to level. A very annoying P4 issue that I wish DJI would rectify. P3's do it too, just nowhere near as badly.

My belief is the horizon tilt has something to do with the Phantom not compensating for aircraft roll & it is exacerbated by wind. It is unpredictable. You can fly one day & the horizon is great & the next day it totally sucks. Watch when flying sideways on a windy day & sometimes the horizon is WAY off. Sit in place & rotate the bird & watch the horizon go from tilting one way, to level, to tilting the other way, then back to level. A very annoying P4 issue that I wish DJI would rectify. P3's do it too, just nowhere near as badly.
I agree. Sometimes you will notice this with directional winds. I notice it when either flying into the wind or with it, I get a almost perfect horizon in my shots.
But as I yaw, the cam seems to have to lean in to the wind and vise versa.
Definitely annoying.

Same problem with my Inspire. What I notice is if I'm doing some quick maneuvers, its much more pronounced. Its like it needs a few seconds to settle or balance out.

my yuneec Q500+ does it. I replaced the cameras. Im on my 3rd camera and so far no tilt. Im sure it will happen one day and Im sure it will happen with my P4 sometime. Hopefully not soon. Think it is bound to happen to all drones

What calibrations have you performed?
I have always calibrated IMU and then do the gimbal calibration. It has worked for me and many of my clients.
How severe is the tilt after calibrations?

I did the imu and gimbal calibration. It's good for about 10 min of flying then goes back to tilted

I did the imu and gimbal calibration. It's good for about 10 min of flying then goes back to tilted
Well, I guess a ten minute flight is not to bad. Umm, this is interesting.:confused:

I corrected my tilted horizon by doing the following: With your DJI Go app on, Turn on your controller then your Phantom. Click and hold the bottom right C2 button on the bottom of your controller and turn the camera setting dial wheel on the front right of your controller and it will adjust your gimbal horizon to the left or right. Done!!!

Last edited:
One thing that I did notice, I somehow changed my Gimbal Mode from Follow to FPV and then the camera tilted whenever I moved sideways. Worried me for a moment but moving back to Follow restored my horizons...

I corrected my tilted horizon by doing the following: With your DJI Go app on, Turn on your controller then your Phantom. Click and hold the bottom right C2 bottom on the bottom of your controller and turn the camera setting dial wheel on the front right of your controller and it will adjust your gimbal horizon to the left or right. Done!!!

I gotta try this. Thanks for the tip.

They all have a bit of tilt. People who say they don't either don't fly where there is a perfectly flat ocean or prairie horizon to make it apparent, or they aren't really looking for it.

I live on a flat prairie where tilt is easy to see. My horizons are flat about 70% of the time... 20% of the time, you have to be 'looking for it' to see the tilt and 10% of the time it's very apparent. But that's close enough for me :)

My tilt used to be worse... I got it to where it is now by doing a cold IMU calibration. When I say cold, I put the drone in my refrigerator for 1/2 an hour before performing the calibration.

I corrected my tilted horizon by doing the following: With your DJI Go app on, Turn on your controller then your Phantom. Click and hold the bottom right C2 button on the bottom of your controller and turn the camera setting dial wheel on the front right of your controller and it will adjust your gimbal horizon to the left or right. Done!!!

Wow this actually worked like a charm. Thanks for the advice I feel so relieved

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20